Sunday, April 26, 2020

W is for... Worthwhile


Sid is the first of my four children. And as the world knows, firstborns are a mother’s first love. Sid is mine. He was coming back home after 12 long years with his wife and so many memories came rushing back.

As an older brother, Sid is calm, patient, caring and loving. As an eldest son, he is responsible, brave and has always shown great initiative. So, when he called me that afternoon to discuss his situation with Triya, I knew he was dealing with one of the hardest decisions of his life.

‘Mum, she says she doesn’t want to have children. I don’t know what I want,’ he said sounding extremely concerned.

It was 3 p.m. in India, meaning it was 5.30 a.m. in New York. My son was never a morning person, it had been a long night.

‘I see. Well, do you love her?’ I asked trying to get my thoughts together. In the last one year, all Sid could talk about was Triya, and I already knew how special she was.

‘Of course. You know I was going to propose to her next month in the Bahamas. She somehow gauged my plan and told me upfront. She wants to marry me but says that she will never consider having a kid. She seems determined, Ma.’

Triya reminded me of my sister Seema when she was younger. When Sid was born, she was there with me to help me with every single chore. She cared for him like a mother would, but when she got married, she decided that she would always want to be childfree. She said she found kids extremely needy, she found motherhood like a guilt-trip and that she thought she loved her life the way it was and didn’t want to change a thing.

‘I am worried that even if I decide to let go, I might resent this later,’ Sid continued from the other side. He told me about Triya’s life and her struggles with her mother as a teenager. Her reasons were justifiable, and given my experience with Seema, I had little doubt that Triya will change her mind.

‘You have looked after your siblings as your own children, Sid. I believe you know a little bit about having kids. Now it is up to you – if you love Triya and want to spend the rest of your life with her, then you need to stand by her decision,’ I explained, couldn’t believing the words that were coming out of my mouth. Sid was going to be one of the heirs to a generation old, multi-million, family business. His children were going to be my first grand-children and I was already looking forward to his return and starting a family. This could change everything.

-

Today was their fourth wedding anniversary and Sid said he had a surprise announcement to make. I had my thali and everything ready to welcome Triya in our home. Sid had promised us that he would work in an American bank for a while and then come back to handle the investments part of the business. His father was looking forward to this, and I was looking forward to spending more time with my two kids, and possibly, a grand kid.

‘Mum, dad, Triya and I have decided to open a primary school for underprivileged children. This way we will be involved with many young lives and will be able to make a difference,’ he declared after settling down.

I looked at Triya sitting next to him, with her hand in his and her eyes gleaming with pride. If there was a mirror, my eyes would have looked the same.

You can read more about Triya in :


-----------------------------------------------------------
This story is a part of AtoZ challenge by Blogchatter. For the 2020 challenge, I'll be writing some travel stories and some stories that originate in my life but find a way into this blog through fiction. Also, I am new at this ;)




23 comments:

  1. This one won my heart.... More power to such couples... And their surprise was such a great decision on their part :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy with their ending too. More power to them indeed!

      Delete
  2. Not a parent of one or two children but many...thats a generous heart! Triya and Sid are two noble hearts, I must say. Equally impressing was the response of the mother while guiding Sid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nisha, Anagha here. Hope you got my comment.

      Delete
    2. I think she had four children and that is why she was not worried about grand children!! She will eventually have them. Also, Sid was her first love and it seems he shared quite a bit with his mother, she had to be a perfect guide for him :)

      Delete
  3. It was a tough decision to make, coz almost all potential grandparents seem to have only one sole purpose for the last stage of their lives...to revisit parenthood.

    That was a nice initiative by Sid and Triya. Maybe the mother can get involved as well :)

    Cheers,
    CRD
    http://scriptedinsanity.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She will eventually revisit parenthood through her other grandchildren - maybe that was what kept her sane during this.

      Delete
  4. The more we give the nobler we become. Your characters possess that nobility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought about it that way. Thank you for saying that..

      Delete
  5. Every relationship will have differences, what makes them work is to find a balance or harmony between them. Triya and Sid have found the balance through the idea of this school, and it's just perfect! Loved the story a lot <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How true! I am glad they did. Thanks, Dashy.

      Delete
  6. I have started liking this series Nisha. I went through a few earlier posts through the weekend and they really are interesting. Thanks for this series.
    Happy A2Zing :)
    -- rightpurchasing.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great initiative, not just one but be parent to many kids!! wonderful story !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what matters in the end - leaving the world a little better than it was with people who love you.

      Delete
    2. Jyoti, please leave your blog link. I cannot find it..

      Delete
  8. I can`t decide who I like more...Sid or his Mom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Sid more, but only because he's a guy and seems super smart and sweet! haha!!

      Delete
  9. Sid and Triya now have a lot of children!

    We all have our wishes. But whether to have children or not is the exclusive prerogative of a couple. I don't think anyone, not even the parents of the couple, have a right to decide on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. However, there are times when even the couple has different opinions between themselves. That is when the real problem starts.

      Delete
  10. Awww that’s so nice of them to put their resources towards taking care of many babies instead of just making their own! A tough but lovely decision made by this fictional couple!
    Noor Anand Chawla

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to have Triya back. And with a wonderful initiative

    ReplyDelete
  12. A well done to Sid's mom for being a super duper mother and mother in law. Well done Sid and Triya.
    A feel good post today Nisha. I do love happy endings:) Cheers.

    ReplyDelete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)