Sunday, April 5, 2020

E is for… England and Cricket Match Stories

I had chosen Travel stories as a theme for my AtoZ Challenge this year. However, my mind is wandering and I feel like writing some fiction. So, after today, I will write stories, but they can be about anything! Lets do this.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to learn how to do a great business deal, learn it from a Sindhi. I was at the Oval, in London, you know. India was playing against Australia in a league match of ICC Cricket World Cup 2019. We were thrilled to get the tickets which we had chanced upon only one day before the match. I wore my best clothes lest I came on television, just like the last match. Last match? Oh yes…



Let me start from the beginning. We decided in 2014 that we will go to London in 2019 when they host the Cricket World Cup. I don’t know my right arm swing from my LBW, but I do know Virat is a vegan and Dhoni has a daughter. I love clapping, screaming, dancing and trying all my moves to come on television. So, I tried to get the tickets for the event in 2018 and succeeded.

We went for India vs South Africa in Southampton. I was on television just after the toss, so bucket list no. 1 was done and dusted. People from all over the world messaged me that they saw us on television. Mission was accomplished, task was completed, now we had to sit through 8 hours of bat and ball.

Me and the Boy on TV. Someone paused Hotstar and took a photo for us!


Easy-peasy. Sing, dance, eat, drink and be merry. I had fun doing the Mexican wave too.

We went to London thereafter and met many friends while we were there. We hardly saw the city because we were busy chit-chatting with people from college. I had planned my stay in London according to a scheduled match date because I knew we will get lucky. Overconfidence, I tell you. It worked.

Watching a match in the Oval was the best experience. I don’t know how many times I screamed – Dus rupay ki Pepsi, Mera Kohli Sexy. Also, Panch rupay ka cola, Mera Dhoni Shola. There were some cool, rowdy boys behind us singing patriotic hindi songs. I sang along in my croaky voice just because you only live once!

We had a huge group from Gujarat sitting in the row just below us. You know how some Gujaratis are – they had theplas, haldiram bhujia, laddoos, and what not in their backpack. As much as we frown upon this strange characteristic, I would anytime eat Haldiram bhujia over French fries with Beer in a stadium in London! There is a certain amount of thrill attached to it.

Anyway, although we had exchanged quite a few smiles between us, I could never ask for those snacks. We were happily sitting with our flags and hair wigs and just eyeing the goodies. The ladies below us wanted to wear those props and take cool selfies to send home. Very conveniently, one of them almost pulled the wig from my hand and then, one by one, they all started posing and taking pictures.

Now I am certainly not the type who would let this go without a barter. I mean, asking for my stuff is one thing, literally taking it was another! When they opened the next packet of bhujia, I commented how it all looked yum. With some hesitation, they filled a plate with spicy Haldiram mix and handed it over to us!

I cannot tell you how fulfilling that was! Also, watching them go crazy so that they can come on television was a whole lot of fun too. I am sure someone was relishing my excitement just as much!
Even though we explored a bit of Scotland and then went to Ireland as well, the best thing about this trip was the experiences we had watching the matches. I cannot wait to go to another event like this one – whenever that may be.

Also, no matter how many IPL matches you go to, or watch Twenty-twenty from close quarters, nothing can beat the thrill of a One-day international match. I hope and pray that this generations starts to like this form of cricket and keeps it alive.



18 comments:

  1. Reminds me of that one time I went to a cricket stadium with my parents and the electrifying energy in the air!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an electrifying experience indeed!

      Delete
  2. Wow, you were on air! Amazing!

    And Indian went on to win the match as well.

    I am yet to watch a match live. Somehow I have this feeling that it might not be as fun as watching it on TV. Also, I simply can't live without the fan or AC :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to choose your weather and your place! It was cold in UK when the World Cup was on. Plus, they sell you headsets to follow the commentary. And we have our phones handy when we miss an important ball, which I didn't! ;)

      Delete
  3. Wow! What a beautiful post. I could really feel the energy and can imagine what an amazing experience it would have been!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing! Can imagine the exciting experience it must have been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing indeed!
      Jyoti, please leave your blog link here, I am unable to find it through your id here.

      Delete
  5. Loved it! Stories are so much more fun to read than travelogues (at least in my opinion!). I shared my travel anecdotes in last year’s AtoZ and converted it to an ebook! Keep writing, look forward to more.
    www.nooranandchawla.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone is writing travelogues these days, so I left that to the pros! I give advice to my friends and family and that's it. I love these stories too.

      Delete
  6. I remember this one ;-) What slogans..mera kohli sexy, mera dhoni shola :-) Did you coin them ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha..I wish!! I think these slogans have been there for long, not sure though. Just heard them during the World Cup.

      Delete
  7. I don't think I have seen a cricket game in my entire life. That needs to go on the bucket list... :D

    The Multicolored Diary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not for everyone. Unless you have seen a few matches at home, you can't sit through 8 hours of bat and ball. It can get boring.

      Delete
  8. Wow! This is a story to narrate to your grandkids. Lucky you, got the chance to watch those matches (and be on TV).


    Nice post. Best wishes for the rest of the A2Z. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kids and hence grandkids here!! But I love to tell this story to the world as well :)

      Delete
  9. This reminded me of the match we watched at Wankhede stadium - 2011- Ind Vs Sri Lanka - where India won the world cup. The atmosphere was mind blowing. Let's plan one trip together soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the best match of the century and you are really, really lucky to have seen it!

      Delete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)