Monday, April 6, 2020

F is for...(Our) Father, in Heaven



There was a huge church in the middle of our school - the highest in the country, we were told. In the pre-google era, we believed anything anyone told us. Beyond the chapel and the main praying area, there was a lodging for nuns and the principal of the school. As I told you, the church establishment was enormous.

Our classrooms and other recreational areas were all around this church. After keeping our bags in the classroom, me and my friends walked to the chapel to pray. We prayed in the school assembly also, followed by a prayer before lunch and then a prayer after all the classes got over. We prayed a lot back then.

Like every morning, Miss Camphor visited the chapel today as well, solely for religious purposes. We always got frowning looks from her. ‘These girls giggle and spoil my 5 minutes of peace before the screaming begins in the class. Why are they even here?’ I overheard her saying one day.

Her hair was graying, and she lived alone – you can’t expect anything but frustration from an old spinster like that. We were ruthless in our opinion of her, but so was she. She wore the same dress every day – a floral frock that ended at her knees with a leather belt at the waist. Legend had it – a boy made her furious in 1987 and she hit him hard with this belt. None of us ever dared to make her angry.

Today was my first day in class 5 and as my good fortune would have it, Miss Camphor walked into our room as our class teacher. The eerie silence was the type I had never experienced before from my class of 50 boys and girls. When she was scanning the class, her eyes stopped at me for more than a few seconds. She knew me as the giggling girl from the chapel, just as I knew her as the creepy teacher in the school.

‘There will be a monitor in this class which will be changed every two weeks. You will be the first one starting today,’ she said pointing at me.

My heart skipped a beat. I didn’t even know how to look at her, and now I will have to report to her on a daily basis? ‘Yes Ma’am,’ I heard myself saying.

‘You are her favorite already, remember not to get on her wrong side,’ Sakshi muttered from the row behind mine while a few boys chuckled in hushed tones.

After the fourth period got over, we joined our hands to say our prayers before eating our meals. Miss Camphor asked me to meet her outside the staff room before the break got over. ‘Yes Ma’am,’ I said shivering at the prospect of interacting with her.

‘Mom made baigan bharta for you,’ Shakti said passing her tiffin to me. I gave her whatever little was left in my tiffin. We finished our boxes in the first period itself, there was no fun in eating in the lunch break.

Normally I would eat my tiffin and then Shakti’s and then grab a bite from Sakshi’s. Not today. ‘Why did she choose me?’ Nobody could answer.

I passed the church building to get to the staff room. I recited ‘Our Father in Heaven’ all the way up there hoping that the fourth prayer of the day will help me. Several teachers were sitting in there sharing their tiffins with each other. Miss Camphor saw me and called me inside. She took out a Monitor’s badge from her cupboard and clipped it on my shirt and then started to walk away.

Nothing was said between us. Suddenly she turned around and asked me to wait. She brought her tiffin and offered me a piece of cake. ‘You finished your tiffin in the morning, you must be hungry now.’

‘Errr..Noo Ma’am..I..’

‘Take a piece and stop giggling in the chapel. Also, don’t mention the cake to your classmates,’ she smiled and walked away.

While walking back in disbelief of how I was just treated, I looked at the church. Standing there, for the first time in seven years of being in this school, I wanted to find out if it was indeed the tallest one in the country.

17 comments:

  1. I have studied in a convent school too and I could imagine the whole scenario. Loved reading your post and was smiling throughout

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bringing smiles is the best outcome one can get from writing. Thank you for saying that :)

      Delete
  2. Good one. Miss Camphor truly was the dreaded teacher. She was my class teacher in class 2! The detailing was good - I had forgotten so many finer things about the school and her. Please write more such stories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was my class teacher in class 5. Although this was fiction, I do think she had a soft side outside the classroom.
      Thank you for the encouragement!!! I will definitely try!

      Delete
  3. Miss Camphor!! Nostalgia hit me big time. I am waiting for more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I will be mixing fact and fiction, and childhood stories are my favourite to tell, you will get nostalgic more often!!
      Thank you for the inspiration :)

      Delete
  4. A lovely narration of a sweet yet memorable event from your childhood. Sometimes we judge a person only to be very pleasantly surprised!
    www.nooranandchawla.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, don't believe everything you hear!

      Delete
  5. I went to a Catholic school, lots of prayer and lots of giggling there too :D

    The Multicolored Diary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! Such an awesome experience though!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful memoir. The teacher comes across as a lovable person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was the most dreaded one in school. But I do think she had a warm side to her.

      Delete
  7. This is such a lovely, sweet little story. I loved the twist at the end. Guess we all have teachers and professors whom we think of as being strict and morose all through their lives, and the eventual shock and joy is a moment to behold.


    Loved it.

    Best wishes for the rest of the A2Z. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ajit. I have never written fiction, so this is a new territory for me. I am taking cues from my own life and mixing it up. Hope to learn more this month.

      Delete
  8. Wow... Such a beautiful piece and very well articulated... I actually read it twice :)!It reminded me of my childhood... I also studied in convents... And such weird stories we used to propagate of the strict nuns.. But at the end they all would end up being so patient and kind to us that we would be left spellbound each time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel so lucky to have studied in that environment. It was the best!
      And thank you Ira, you are sweet 🙂

      Delete
  9. Being convent educated myself, I can relate to this. They ight seem tough but they are real softies on the inside. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)