Friday, April 17, 2020

P is for… Proposal



I had been going out with Triya for a year now. We were introduced by our parents when they came to see us while we both were working in New York. It was a strategic match – we would laugh. My father was a builder in Delhi and her family owned a well-established cement company in Gurgaon – a match made in ‘concrete’ heaven!

‘Remember how horrified I was when my father asked me to ask you out? It was like I was a preppy again!’ I exclaimed looking into Triya’s eyes peeking through her thick mascaraed eyelashes. She never left home without her pink gloss lipstick and two applications of mascara; she had told me once. It didn’t matter to me though - she was beautiful inside and out.

She just smiled sipping through her third Manhattan. Normally, by this time, Triya would be hopping around singing Sonu Nigam songs making Americans chuckle, but not today. Something was bothering her.

‘Is everything ok? You look preoccupied, hon,’ I asked her a third time.

‘Let’s get out of here,’ she stated standing up from her bar stool, fixing her purse on her shoulders.

‘Uh, ok. If that makes you feel better. I’ll just settle the cheque and see you at the exit.’

As I stood at the billing counter I glanced at my worried girlfriend. I had a bad feeling about this. We had an argument last weekend, but nothing so significant that she would break-up with me for! I was planning to take her to the Bahamas very soon and propose her. She might have other plans.

‘How were your drinks today Mr. Sehgal? You’re leaving early,’ questioned the bartender from behind the counter.

‘Everything was great, we ..uh…we just have a thing.’

I walked towards Triya, her slender body leaning on the exit door. She was staring through the glass door at the tall structure across Times Square, lost in a world of her own.

‘Are you ready to go?’ I patted on her shoulder and curled my arm around her petite waist.

‘Can we go to our favourite spot in Central Park? Or is it too late?’ Triya asked with a very serious look on her face.

‘Of course, we can,’ I answered without hesitation.

We grabbed a cab from outside the bar and within 10 minutes we were on the bench next to the fountain in Central Park. Nothing was said between us, I didn’t even want to ask.

‘The Triya you know is very different from the Triya I grew up with,’ she muttered grabbing my hand.

‘I know darling, I know your struggle with the weight.’

‘It’s not about the struggle. I loved it – more because I emerged victorious from it. This is about how those years changed my outlook in life.’

‘What do you mean?’ I asked, still puzzled about her predicament.

‘You know I love you Sid. But there is something you need to know. Something that I had decided years ago which could alter your feelings towards me.’

‘Hey! Nothing, nothing in this world can change how I feel about you… about us. If this is about you gaining those 40 kgs back, I am up for it. In fact, I’ll look forward to it, that way I will have more of you to love!’

She laughed. For the first time today, I made her laugh. This was rare. We were a happy twosome endlessly sharing jokes and stories from our respective business schools. We had a bunch of friends from the banks we were working for who always envied our companionship. I loved how we both were intellectuals and not nerdy, how we were both from a wealthy background, yet grounded. There was so much in common.

‘You don’t understand Sid. My head is screwed up in many ways.’

‘I…’

‘No listen,’ she interrupted. ‘I am just going to come out with this ok. I know where we are heading, and I want to make this clear before we do. I… I don’t want to have children. Ever.’

 ‘Okay.. uhh..’ I didn’t know how to respond to that. I came from a family of three sons and one daughter. We had a party growing up. How would someone not like kids was beyond me.

‘I saw how my mother struggled trying to bring out the perfect version of me. Every single day she would look for ways to make me thinner. She stopped going to parties because she didn’t want the conversation to turn to her and consequently, my weight struggles. She felt guilty for being too harsh on me and that made me feel guilty for making her go through this. I turned out great – straight A’s, charismatic, and successful. But I don’t want to be that person who wants to fix everything that is wrong in someone’s life. I don’t want to be in a position where I have to make that kind of a decision for someone.’

‘What kind?’ I asked, pretending to understand but failing miserably at it.

‘The kinds that makes you want to control every step of someone’s life,’ she stated, with her voice becoming softer.

‘But you can be the type of mother you want to be. Now that you have a guideline, you can easily skip the part that makes you be a Hitler,’ I said wrapping my arms around her, trying to make her laugh again. We were in our late twenties; I was not even thinking about kids.

‘No. You can’t change my mind about this. And if it’s a deal-breaker for you, we can decide to take separate paths.’

‘Uhh..Triya!’ I really didn’t know what to say. ‘Can we cross the bridge when we get to it?’

Triya looked at me through her blurry eyes and moved from the bench to the floor on one knee. ‘Sid Sehgal, I love you and would love to spend the rest of my life with you. But before you say yes, you must think very, very carefully. Are you ok with having no children, no children at all?’

I stood up and helped her get up. I took her hands and embraced her tight. Behind her was our favourite fountain, our go-to spot when we were happy, sad, anything. This place had seen it all – our past, our present and possibly our future, which, right now, I was very unsure about.

--------------------------
You can read more about Triya in :

-----------------------------------------------------------
This story is a part of AtoZ challenge by Blogchatter. For the 2020 challenge, I'll be writing some travel stories and some stories that originate in my life but find a way into this blog through fiction. Also, I am new at this ;)


23 comments:

  1. Triya really has a mind of her own and reading this I'm really wondering how parenting can alter the way we think. Id like to know where this goes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Triya was an extremely intelligent and sensitive kid, she was bound to be affected by experiences she had growing up.
      Lets see where life takes her!

      Delete
  2. It's sad that sometimes as parents we don't realise in what ways we can affect the kids thoughts especially when we force our decisions on them... But then as they say to err is human... And parents are also humans!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parenting is the hardest job - in your quest to protect your child, you end up doung things which might not be the best. But again, who knows what is best!

      Delete
  3. I feel Triya has found a very mature person who loves her for what she is and not what she will bring to life. Lucky Triya. Hope she takes his advice to decide about children when it was time in future.
    Sequel to banata hai Nisha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What if she has a child due to the pressure around her and then regrets it? It is more complicated than we can imagine!
      As for the sequel, lets see!

      Delete
  4. Interesting. I've often wondered why more people don't opt for childless marriages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have wondered the same. My husband and I have opted for one 😊

      Delete
  5. That is a very difficult question to think over. It is hard to find couples who mutually agree not to have kids. Hope everything turns out well for Triya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. I have actually come across none except my husband and I who had decided this long back. I wonder how many couples will procreate in the future though.

      Delete
  6. This one really touched me. It was a difficult topic but dealt with very sensitively. Triya is a delightful character.
    www.nooranandchawla.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Noor. The words just flow in the right direction sometimes. 😊

      Delete
  7. Interesting how her life is changing. Ill be waiting to see where this takes her.
    -- rightpurchasing.com

    In addition, we at rightpurchasing are having an open day on Monday along with the "Q" post. We will be open to any of your queries regarding Blog monetization or if you need any suggestions. Hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm....and then some more hmmmm...you know what I am thinking don`t you ?

    Triya must not let her past dictate her future..but then in real life that`s how we all are...I want to read more on Triya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha.. no, no don't think too much!! This is not me 😄
      I just see parenting around me and wonder how it affects children. Extreme interference can sometimes lead to extreme outcome, right?

      Delete
  10. So Triya's mother's insecurities did mess her up after all. Enjoyed reading this episode Nisha. I was absorbed in the story. Happy to meet Sid who sees Triya for the person she is. Curious to see how their story develops.
    I like the pace of your narratives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Arti. Your comment is very encouraging :)

      Delete
  11. Hey, you're doing a series?

    Lemme get back to where it started.

    Cheers,
    CRD
    https://scriptedinsanity.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to make each story independent from each other, yet you can see continuity. Hope you liked what you read!

      Delete
  12. Triya doesn't want to impose or be responsible with fixing another life.
    Sid is right that she can chose to be the mother she can.
    I know all will be okay at the end! Happy ending :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can understand where Triya is coming from. That must be her trauma at work. I wonder what Sid id going to decide!

    ReplyDelete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)