Thursday, April 17, 2014

O is for... Oh, Friendship



I know this O is not really an O but an F. But today I was reading a few old posts from my blog and started to miss my friends. I dialled N but she was busy cooking for her husband’s boss from the U.S. She said she would curse me tomorrow for not calling before... oh, the blah when you miss someone!

I was reading how much I loved N when I flew to India especially for her wedding. Then I equally loved P because I did the same for her. I was reading how guilty I was for not making it to Y’s wedding. And then I read how much fun her e-baby shower was. I read the post where I felt like a teenager attending Pri’s wedding. And then it struck me – life is so different now. From school to college to wedding and now babies – life has changed tremendously. And it’s all here, on my blog!

Friendship means everything to me; probably even more than love. I would want to be Boy’s friend more than a lover or a spouse. I would want to giggle, fight, share, argue and do everything with him that friends are meant to do. And then, if I am away and he doesn’t call me, I wouldn’t want to say that why didn’t you call. Isn’t that the most beautiful thing about friendship? – You pick up the phone 5 years later and you start from where you left. There could be slight hesitation because there is so much to catch on, but you manage pretty well and you love it.

The meaning of friendship changes as you get older. You look for like minded people with whom you can socialize. It is not like before when the teacher makes you sit on the same bench and you just have to become friends. Trust me, I found my bestest friends there. *Food for thought*: Maybe I should knock my neighbour’s door and we could become BFFs! *Note to self*:  You have already done that twice in this building. People might ban the creepy neighbour who knocks a stranger’s door every few months.

Even today some conversations on a Whatsapp group make me giggle like a little girl. Your childhood friends get you so well. They complete your sentences even though you have grown apart. But have you really? The best thing is that you can say anything to them without them getting offended. 

I know this is a girly-childish-inappropriate post. But I am in that zone. I don't want to show my wit or imbibe wisdom or crib about anything. I want to dear diary today 'cause I miss my sweethearts, those moments, those hugs, that laughter, those tears, the hi-fis, the I-hate-you, that I-love-you, the I-know-what-you-are-thinking eyes, and then that I-wish-we-were-together-forever thought! 

Oh, Friendship, bless you!

P.S. I have linked several posts from various years here. They are all about my friends. Go ahead, read them if you like :)

26 comments:

  1. Read your best friend's wedding post and Friends Forever..I have similar type of friends..langotiya friends since nursery and we re create magical moments when ever we are together..

    btw My mum's best friend moved to Pakistan some 20 years back..Mom missed her till date.When i look at her , i know I am never letting my friends go..ever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well sometimes you do lose friends because of things that are beyond your control. And then, there is nothing you can do except miss those precious moments you spent with each other...

      Delete
  2. But for friends life would be a big bore.It is they who add fun to life.It is in innocent childhood friendships there is laughter,understanding and no big quarrels.But friends keep changing as we grow moving to different locations,new jobs and new interests.But as you had said friendships have the knack of renewing even after a long gap but the old charm would have diminished sometimes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. I do have a couple of best friends from childhood with whom I can't relate to anymore. I am sure they are not too fond of me either. But one thing is for sure, if I need them or they are in a problem, we will always be there for each other. We might not have fun together but in a crisis, we would bond just like yesterday :)

      Delete
  3. And how true you are.
    Friendship changing its meaning as you grow older. You do not share everything with your friends anymore. Calls become less frequent but thanks to whatsapp you are just a second away from them. And boy, I too giggle like a little girl when they crack old jokes from our past :)
    O is for friendship :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha.. if it were to me... every alphabet would have been about friendship and love. Ye aur sab topics mein kya rakha hai ;)

      Delete
  4. Oh oh! I loved that line about the meaning of friendship changing as you get older... so true...there's no one that knows you better than your childhood friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, when you grow older, your spouse has a role to play in deciding what kind of friends you will have. Ofcourse they don't thrust their opinion, but they do influence. But parents did that too...hmm.. oh, I am just thinking out loud!! :)

      Delete
  5. Its only been like two months since my school got over and I miss everything about it and all because of my friends! In every nook and corner of that school is a memory I have shared with one of my friend... uh... I am teary eyed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will miss them for the rest of your life! Everyone will move out and you will probably meet them once in few years. The best thing is to keep in touch with them on phone. You don't want them to forget the sound of your voice. No, never.

      Delete
  6. i have groups on whatsapp with people from kindergarten...but last year was one I lost two of my bestest friends. People I knew from my diaper days. How could we fall out I have no idea...but I did not distrust anyone or lose my faith in friendship. Because if not for friendship what is the meaning of this existence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Falling out can be very hard on you. Hope you doing ok... people change, things happen,.. such is life..

      Delete
  7. Ah friends, what would we do without them? After reading all the linked posts I know that N and P are lucky to have you in their lives! :D

    Go ahead and knock the next door. Who the hell cares?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha.. yeah I will. I just love doing that and make new stories!

      Delete
  8. Old friends, even new, anyone that your wavelength matches with is a delight to know for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's true friendship keeps changing it's form as we grow older but I guess the basic stays the same...We might not find time but the feelings remian same na atleast for genuine friends which I think you have in abundance :) touchwood!

    O for Ostracized-Random Thoughts Naba

    ReplyDelete
  10. Friendship has many aspects and should be as dynamic as the persons involved as well

    PhenoMenon
    http://throodalookingglass.com/2014/04/oats-interesting-ways-to-eat/

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely tribute to friendship. You should revel in the blessings of having true friends. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh.... nice post... Loved the way you described about friendship.. For me friendship is like Oxygen... because my friends are the ones who keep me living!

    ~S(t)ri
    Participant|AtoZ Challenge 2014
    Smile, it makes (y)our day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ah the beauty of friendship :) frnda can turn the dull day into brighter one, they can make u laugh wen u dont evn want to smile! life will be so miserable widout these friends! i am missing my childhood frn aftr reading this post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Friends.....that prefix is very apt....
    When you see an old friend....
    That Oh! Explains the happiness

    ReplyDelete
  15. Blessed is the person who has good friends. Agree with you that the meaning of friendship changes as we grow older. Great post. Stopping by via the A to Z Challenge. Goodd Luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Friends keep us sane and going strong. Your post has brought back memories of my old friends and i am going to call them up, just to say hello.

    ReplyDelete
  17. As the years pass, I think of so many friends who have come and gone. I cherish all of them and was so happy when I reconnected with a friend who was my 'bestest' friend when I was a teenager. I found her on the internet after 40 years and we reconnected like no time had passed.

    Thank you for your heartfelt post

    Carol @ Battered Hope

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved that line about the meaning of friendship changing as you get older :)
    keep writing :)

    http://jrnywithprabhu.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)