Thursday, April 10, 2014

I is for... Indian Cuisine



There was a time when India was introduced to Dominoes. Everyone from Raju to Ramya fell in love with it and their favourite cuisine became Italian. It easily replaced Chinese because Chilli Paneer and Chowmein were not cool anymore.

Then going abroad became cheaper and Sushi was introduced to our colourful plate. A lot of people fell in love with Tuna and Salmon wrapped in rice and loved to flaunt the new language they learnt – Teriyaki, Sake, Wasabi, Miso soup...

Arabic Hummus, Fattoush, Falafel, Shawarma were tongue twisters and they became our choice for a good night with Sheesha (Hukkah). Burritos’, Fajita, Enchilada, Nachos combined with a generous jug of Margarita added zing to our life since that spicy Salsa and Guacamole took us back to Indian fare. And when asked which was our favourite cuisine, the answer always was some firangi khana which not only got a great response but was also a good conversation starter.

But after 4 varied meals in a row, we always crave for some Dal Chawal. The yumminess called Tandoori Chicken is hard to replace. And when it comes to sweet cravings, nothing can replace mom’s Halwa or piping hot Gulab Jamun. No matter how cool you sound when you say your favourite cuisine is Mexican, you would always cringe if you get that every day for a continuous week. Am I wrong?

I’m in love with Indian cuisine. I hate my pasta without lots of chillies, I can’t stand the Chinese Chinese and let me not even start with the rawness called Japanese food. Arabic and Mexican are yummy but for how long? In the end I always go to Chicken Biryani and Palak Paneer. Nothing in the world can replace Tamater ka Shorba and Kheer (rice pudding). After all, who will like to have French Fries with Ketchup when you can get flavourful Aaloo Tikki with spoonfuls of Mint Chutney?

Are you like me... slurping after reading this post? Well, my job here is done!

31 comments:

  1. Anonymous4/10/2014

    I am hungry now, I have already shared my recent all time craving for all things Indian - rich - spicy - tasty- yummy - homemade - mom made - dadi made :P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! I am a tad against rich... that creamy fare annoys me. The rest - I love tooo!!

      Delete
  2. You are just like mee....!!! I always think...why are we always eating our fav stuff...lets try diff things...and end up in the same Mally restaurant we love. Because the food we love not just fills our tummies, it fills our hearts. And the heart is very much Indian !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said!! Although I do like to eat all types of food, it is Indian that satisfies us the most.

      Delete
  3. Yes,you did your job well tickling the taste buds of every reader.I agree with you that one may like Chinese,Mexican,Italian cuisine but that cannot be a daily affair and needs to be interspersed with authentic home made Indian food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Home made is the catch phrase here. The restaurants usually don't have the authentic flavours because they end up adding to much butter/cream/oil. I like my own dal/biryani/chicken the most :)

      Delete
  4. Well said, we may eat all the foreign cuisines and go gaga over it, but we usually come back to our desi home made food, it is what that satisfies us and makes us truly sated and happy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4/10/2014

    Nice one, Nisha. Food for the soul v/s food for the tummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those words, those exact words :)

      Delete
  6. So true...at the end of the day it's Indian food that we come back to!

    Latest A2Z Challenge Post-Random Thoughts Naba

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because that's where the heart is!

      Delete
  7. I would be leaving for college soon (hopefully -fingers crossed) and I know one thing that I will miss my mom's arhar ki dal and roti a lot!!! As much as I love all this fast food things, but in the end I prefer dal and roti only!!!! Nothing like that mom ke haath ka khaana!!!

    A really yummy post :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will relish it more when you come for vacations. All the best!

      Delete
  8. I love trying out different cuisines. But Indian always remains my favorite. Nothing can beat our spice and heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I can't stick to one cuisine. But when I am really hungry, I don't want to try. I just want my food, my Indian food.

      Delete
  9. I agree I crave for simple dal chawal n aalu Sabji after two days of burger n chicken snitzel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm not a burger person at all. That bread and fried stuff doesn't make me happy. I can have cheesy risotto, but not fried chicken patties!

      Delete
  10. Are our chinese, italian, continental taste like Indian only. :D
    Thank God for that!!
    Me and my Indian cuisine for life!
    VADAPAV over burger anytime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah.. that is what I saiid... I don't like Chinese Chinese. I like Indian Chinese. And Indian Pasta. And pizza with onion capsicum... not aubergine, eggplant and authentic Italian veggies!

      Delete
  11. Indian is my favorite! Always look forward to Indian besides Chinese ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. God !! You made me hungry now.. First you write a post about dieting and now this :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I was thinking the same thing. And then I thought it is good to cover all areas ;)

      Delete
  13. am hungry at is 12 in th midnight here :( Indian cuisine is something that makes my mouth water :P

    ~S(t)ri
    Participant|AtoZ Challenge 2014
    Smile, it makes (y)our day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya the thought of pav bhaji and vada pav and chaat.... slurppp!!!

      Delete
  14. Anonymous4/11/2014

    Yummy post! And yeah, I totally agree with you :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love Indian food and we eat it a lot. I am looking for a new chutney for papadums. Any suggestions?

    Carol @ Battered Hope

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love indian food....but cant eat all the fats and oils any more nowadays as we have become more sedantary workers... but dal rice is always yumm

    http://ashalifeishope.blogspot.in/2014/04/jovial-people.html#comment-form

    ReplyDelete
  17. This was like my inner voice speaking through you HAHA

    ReplyDelete
  18. *closes the laptop and goes out to eat kebab*

    ReplyDelete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)