Monday, April 7, 2014

F is for... Foul Language



Once upon a time jokes were actually funny. Now they just have swear words and we laugh at them like there’s no tomorrow. Seriously, what’s up with this profanity and its incessant use in our everyday language?

You see, I grew up in a city in Northern India which is well-known for its rich culture and sweet Hindi blended with gentle Urdu language. It is world famous for even swearing tenderly. While growing up I did not use any foul language. Till today F*$k and A$*H*&^ are the only two words I use – that too with asterisks! 

When my husband sits with his boys, all they do is use the F-word in combination with mothers and fathers. It amuses them till no end. If they don’t use, their party is dull and monotonous! I read somewhere that taboo words are a way to vent out your emotions. Does that mean men who don’t talk about their personal life in public use more swear words to express their inner feelings? And does that mean that women should start cursing more to help their partners articulate their personal thoughts? Wonder how that discussion would go...

Surprisingly, these words are used with equal zeal to display happiness and anger. For example:

  That is fu&*^%$ awesome news!
  What the f&^% were you thinking?

Also, when you add the F-word, your order/anger/emotion is taken more seriously. For example:

  That is annoying.
  That is F*&^%($ annoying.

I mean, the F word is so versatile. If you know how to use it well, you are a pro in swearing. And apparently making people laugh. Look at Russel Peters, hear his language and you will know what I am saying. Jesse Pinkman of Breaking Bad used B&%$# a whole lot. I am sure you know how popular he was (I'm an ardent fan as well!!)

So, should I too, like the rest of the world start using foul language to display my emotions in a better way? Oh, I can’t even say Shut Up like the way it should be said... how would I say F&^% you!

Let me not even bring the C-word in this sacred space. How much I abhor it! What about you?


P.S. I am still traveling. I will be back tomorrow and then I'll read all your wonderful blogs :)

20 comments:

  1. Anonymous4/07/2014

    I am not fond of cuss words. But sometimes, they do let you vent out your anger. I have done that, only the F word and A word in the privacy of my bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The A one is only for my husband for fun! I use the F-word to display extreme emotion. But that too not in front of many people.

      Delete
  2. I learnt all my cuss words from WWE and I use them like there is no tomorrow. But it always, always leaves a bad taste in my mouth :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, WWE is educative!! I'm not judging anyone who uses these words... how does it matter anyway. And I agree with bad taste. You always regret using them.

      Delete
  3. According to my parents 'stupid fool' and 'idiot' are still cuss words. In today's trend it has become holy though. However I never used the F or A word ever in any of my conversations, nor did my hubby. When he meets his friends all they do is drink beer and watch some action movie on 3D. However I admit I have used the B word at some females. It was beyond my control. They are really B !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frankly, B is a compliment in todays times! Oh I feel so silly saying A and B and F... why the censorship!

      Delete
  4. I don't say it as much as I write it :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Words can kill as much as leave imprints on one's life that leaves them scarred for life...I used to use it once upon a time till I stopped for good...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These simple ones are harmless. It is the bigger ones that scar. Good you stopped.

      Delete
  6. Unlike Red, I say it more than I write it. I don't know why. I certainly don't think it is cool though.

    I'm a very short tempered person and the F work features atleast twice in a sentence for me. I'm better now. Earlier it was featured atleast five times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing cool or uncool about the cuss words. They are just expressions. Go on, use them!

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The usage of these words are so casual nowadays, most people don't even find it offensive!
      I think twice before using the F word, though.

      Delete
    2. That's what I'm saying - they have become normal expressions for our generation. The next generation would probably be more creative :)

      Delete
  8. People use all that to look 'cool' and the sad thing is it does turn out to be cool for people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The college-goers probably think it looks cool. By the time they grow up these words become a part of their vocabulary. I don't think we think these words to be cool or uncool in anyway.

      Delete
    2. Umm by people here I meant the school going teens (sorry forgot to mention)

      Delete
  9. I don't write or speak even
    See i am such a GOOD GIRL :P :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to say I love the F word and most swear words generally. I don't generally feel offended by their use, I would only be offended by the intent of the person saying the words (not the words themselves).

    I realise this places me in a minority so I try to watch my language where it might offend someone else, but I really do love the F word, it's just so evocative for both good and bad expressions.

    Very interesting post, visiting here from A to Z

    Mars
    Curling Stones for Lego People

    ReplyDelete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)