Friday, April 18, 2014

P is for... Please hear what I'm not saying


I wear a dark mascara, I wear Jimmy Choos
I drool over Chanel, I have a collection of a million shoes.
I wear a confidence that only a few can muster
If I have to get there, I tend to get there faster.
But try to see the lines embedded beneath that eye,
The soreness that comes, when the heel gets high.
I don’t do it all for me, I am sometimes suffering,
Will you please hear what I’m not saying?

I am ruthless, I have broken all rules,
I am just perfect, never have those blues.
I eat mutton on Tuesday, Temples are not for me,
Feminism, AIDS, oh, I care a damn about child literacy.
But did you hear I make kind gestures to the poorest stranger,
I want to sponsor a girl child, want to help her like a mother .
Every night before sleeping, you’ll hear me praying,
But you can’t for it's silent…Can you hear what I’m not saying?

If I crack silly jokes, it doesn’t mean I have a non-existent IQ,
If I act like a teenager, it doesn’t mean I haven’t grown up like you.
No, I won't drop the act 'cause I like it that way,
And I don't want your sympathy, don't think too much after this essay.
Just be aware of the mask 'cause, like you, most of the time I’m playing
Like you, I want to be heard, but first, Please hear what I’m not saying.


I wrote this poem 3 years back because someone said a few things which annoyed me. Something like that happened today as well and I tuned out thinking of these words. This verse is inspired by this poem penned by Charles C. Finn and it has had a huge impact on my life. We all wear masks, don't we? Then why is it so difficult for others to understand us? Think about it. 

10 comments:

  1. This is so empowering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. True..we all definitely wear masks and still do the same things which we don't want others to do to us....
    P for Petrified-Random Thoughts Naba

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We kind of think it is only us and not all...!

      Delete
  3. This was so beautiful Nisha. May I dare say, much beautiful than the original.

    Love! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original is a tad long for our short attention span. Plus it doesn't even rhyme :)
      But it sure is inspiring.
      And thankyouss!!! :*

      Delete
  4. This is a nice coincidence, we chose same thoughts on P, mine in words and yours expressed beautifully in an poem !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thoroughly enjoyable and thought provoking. Please hear what I am not saying - brilliant
    Carol @ Battered Hope

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8/06/2014

    The masks, we all wear them, we all know about them but still they became the picture of our existence. Lovely words Nisha.

    ReplyDelete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)