Sunday, September 7, 2014

Do you read your old blog posts?

It’s 7:30 p.m. on a Sunday night – a weekday in our Arabic country. We just had this awesome chicken curry that I made. The Boy is watching the T20 match between India and England. I’m sitting on the dining table with my laptop open in front of me. The green tea is piping hot. Since there is nothing better to read on the Internet(!!), I went to my old blog posts and have been smiling ever since.

I see the posts written in July 2007. I wrote 10 posts in a single month. It was beginner’s euphoria I guess. That time I use to drive my bright red Zen and go to this shop in Aliganj, Lucknow and rent out books and review them. I had difficulty in driving a car but that didn’t deter me from going from one place to another. I wish I had started blogging in 2006; then I would have written about the accident as well. And I'm wondering why I didn't write about my first prize - an iPod - which I won because of this post! Maybe I was not as flamboyant as I am now! Btw, I sold that iPod for Rs. 10,000 to my dad, ha!!

In October 2007, I met the Boy’s parents. The post is out there. I was very secretive back then and so there are no details in the post. In February 2008, I had a haircut and wrote a post on that. Someone commented he/she loved my blog and I actually felt awesome!

There are details of my friend’s wedding, and then another friend's wedding. There are a few posts about my wedding. There are silly posts about random days. There are random posts on random things. There is love, there is humour, there is pain, there are inspiring stories, there are poems… in this one website I’ve lived the last 7 years of my life. 

It’s a personal blog and will always remain one. I don’t care how some would see it as immature or boring; I love to document my life here and would continue to do so. You know why? – because on a dull day like this when I go to my old posts it makes me feel so good. Sure, I have memories to hold on to. But the specific details, the thought process that I had, what went on in my mind, the kind of person I was – it’s all here in this space.

Do you like to read your old posts as well? Do you read the stories that you wrote, or do you like the contest entries that you posted, or, like me, do you love the personal posts that say about your situation back then?  

If you want my advice I’ll tell you to write about today. Tomorrow when you’ll read about it, you’ll smile as much as I’m smiling today!

17 comments:

  1. haha.. I can see my name in the comments section of the July 2007 blog :)
    All those years ago... de taali. We've been here a while :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yess.. it's such a proud feeling to know someone just through words and be around for that long. From comments to bitching(!!!), we have indeed come a long way. May this friendship never end :)

      Delete
  2. There are days when I wish that I had started blogging earlier. But better late than never, right. Wishing you a lot more wonderful posts, Nisha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagine if we started this when we were in school - that would have been so wonderful. But then, better late than never. So many people are missing the joy of blogging!

      Delete
  3. On days i wanna give myself a feel good factor, I read my old blog posts! Old posts are like old books...no matter how many new come into ur life, they always occupy a special position. Will read all the links u have given in this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just put random links here on which I stumbled upon yesterday. I love how carefree my writing was. Although the posts need a lottttt of correction, I still smiled at every word I wrote!! Amazing it is!

      Delete
  4. Of course! I do and I totally agree with you. To go back and read those thought patterns... Some would be like it was from an old friend because of the changes since then and some you would still relate to this day and the involuntary smile that creeps into your face.. It's a nice feeling.

    And thanks for the chance to dig your archives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh true, I feel I am so different now. And a lot if it has to do with blogging. Reading and writing changes your perspective and your personality. Blogging has had a lot of effect on me too.

      Delete
  5. oh yes I do read old blogs because it tells me the journey i have had while blogging .. and sometimes they also give an idea to write something as after so many years things might have changed ..

    and that is a lovely advice in the end :) I smile at what i wrote then .. for sure

    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes when I read an old post I feel I have written the same thing so many times!! Things have definitely changed and there is a hint of something new even in a repetitive idea. You can actually see personal growth here.

      Delete
  6. Ah the nostalgia that hits you when you read your old posts. When I read my heart broken poems back then I am like WTF was I thinking. But then I realize, this all contributed to the person that I am today. And then I met wonderful friends like you too :)

    Whenever I read old posts of mine I am transported. And it definitely ends with a smile :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There has been only one boy through the journey of this blog. So, though there are traces of the past here, the heartbroken poems are in the diary! And like you said, it has all contributed to the person we are today, so no regrets. But if the posts were here, I am not sure if I will be able to read them..

      Delete
  7. Yes Nisha, I sometimes read my older posts too..And I think, "I could have written this part better", "What had got into me" and so on. But it really feels good :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9/09/2014

    7 years!!! I was not in the world of blogging at that time. Ah yes, I read my old posts too and sometimes wonder how I have changed over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also read my old posts and go back in time with them. I also deleted some posts because it was silly :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. last line hit me hard :) yes i do read my old blog posts and laugh hard :D we have our lives here at blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I too read older posts of mine. Though I am just a year and half old into blogging,, but I do love reading older posts. Sometimes I like what I have written and other times I think I could have written better.

    ReplyDelete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)