Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Are women that easy?

So I saw this advertisement a few days back. A wife is angry that her husband has missed their anniversary for 3 years in a row. She calls him and tells him that she is going to her mother’s place. To make his wife feel better, the husband goes online, orders a few gifts for the wife and sends them across to her mother’s place. At the end of the advert, the wife seems to have forgiven the husband.

In another real life incident, someone told us about Zee. Zee is a womanizer and his wife knows about it. When I asked this someone how the wife takes all this shit, he told us that Zee buys her lots of expensive presents.

It’s a worrying scenario. All it takes for a woman to feel happy is a materialistic gift. Why is it that gifts hold such a significant value in a female’s life? As kids, both boys and girls receive equal number of gifts. As we enter teenage, we see girls carrying on the tradition while boys just forget about it. When we enter adulthood, it is more important for a boy to buy his girlfriend a ‘surprise’ gift than vice versa. Frankly, I don’t understand why it all changes.

And I don’t understand why it continues for life. I’ve never seen a man feel as ecstatic as a woman when he gets a gift. A friend who started working recently got an expensive wallet for her husband. The husband, though touched by the gesture, told the wife that he doesn’t see any use of a wallet that costs 10 times his present one and so they should go to the shop and buy something for her instead. Unfortunately the shop didn’t sell any item for women in that price range!

This is yet another trend that has caught up recently. Every husband around me has been buying the likes of Michael Kors, Burberry, Omega, the works. Some women show-off their latest additions on social networking sites. Others show-off only at social gatherings. The man becomes a hero and a ‘good’ husband.

This brings me to the point I’m trying to understand. Are women so materialistic? Are people right when they say that women get attracted to rich men? I feel so bad about us when I hear such allegations but then, sometimes I wonder if it is all true.

Now some would say that the grapes are sour. You see, my husband has never given me a surprise gift. Since I don’t work, he is the one who pays for everything I buy when we go to the store. He has given me cards which I can use when I go out alone. Sometimes I tell him that he should bring me gifts that I would like. I tell him that even a chocolate would mean that he thought about me and that would mean a lot to me.

That’s it. A gift only means that it was probably my birthday and someone thought about me and bought me something I would like. Or, someone ate a nice thing and bought an extra for me because he thought I would like it. Nothing more. A gift cannot make up for cheating on me. A gift cannot make up for being forgetful and insensitive and not being there when I wanted that someone to be there.

I am 100% sure that it means the same for other women. But they tend to give into the moment and forget about everything else. It’s time we let the world know that money cannot buy us everything.

Spread the word. 

7 comments:

  1. Women showing off MK bags on social networks..I swear ! and yes we take those husbands as the best ones..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2/24/2015

    I love gifts!!! But for a substituent to a sorry, I would rather have that person spend extra time with me than go buy me things I don't need (and mostly gifts you get are useless :D )
    As far as a rich guy is concerned... I myself will be rich :P so won't need one :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ON POINT THIS WAS NISHA!!!
    The advertisements off late have been indeed worrying! I do like gifts but that does not take the place of something that I find more important,i.e, giving me time.
    You gave me a new thought to blog on. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I swear. Some people flaunt their new iphones on facebook and it irritates so much. One person went to the extent of stacking all the iphones in her family and then posted a pic of it.. I mean REALLY ? I dont see any men doing the same though. Maximum a guy does is post a selfie in front of someone else's Aston Martin or Ferrari.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think women give in to the moment,and they are just more forgiving. But for the sanity of all women I believe that women are not so materialistic as they are projected to be. I mean seriously, a rock to replace a heart!! And to think that the advertisers are even successful with this idea. I had the same debate a few days ago with guys in my office, who believe girls are only after rich guys. It was me against three guys and that was more than enough. I just hope womankind won't prove me wrong. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true! Your definition of gifting couldn't have been more correct. Perfect it was! Me and my husband do surprise gifts but they are of the kind that are hand made and in case it is materialistic it would be something that the other had been wanting to buy so long. I have gifted him a rose and an apology letter when we fought for something silly and I felt I was wrong. Love's the essence of gifting, not what the gifts are or how much they cost.

    ReplyDelete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)