Wednesday, April 23, 2014

T is for... Trip Report – ICC World Cup Twenty-20



Once upon a time we were normal people living a normal life. Something changed in 2013 and we became those people who win prizes. Being called lucky when I win in a writing contest still annoys me, but then I try to resist the urge to explain. Anyway, I digress.

So, one day the Boy called me to tell that we had won a trip for two to Dhaka to see the Twenty-20 World Cup final. India was still not a part of it. Of all the places in the world, this year the venue had to be Dhaka. But I had to NOT behave like an ungrateful soul and so we said yes.

The journey from Bahrain to Dhaka was not an easy one. Since we had to fly Emirates, there was a layover in Dubai. If you know Emirates airport in Dubai, you will know it is not for weak people like me. Both times our flight reached just in time for boarding the connecting flight and we had to run across the airport without any help from ground staff. I vowed never to take Emirates again (except if we win the trip as a prize!).

Everyone from the Immigration Officer to the Hotel staff was amused by our arrival in Dhaka. We were a group of 8 ‘lucky’ winners who didn’t mention that we had actually won this trip. So they thought us to be rich travellers who would come from the Middle East just to see a match. The whole city was decorated for the world cup. We were amicably welcomed to say the least.

Dhaka is a crowded city; much worse than any in India. It doesn’t have many places of interest and so we decided to just enjoy the hotel for the short 48-hours that we had and relish the match. The hotel was a lifetime experience. The only other occupants during our stay were the Indian cricket team and the members of the Star Sports team. We lurked around the hotel just to get a glimpse of our favourites. We sat in the breakfast area for hours just to be there when they came. Believe me when I say that I’m not a person who goes crazy about big stars. But this was so much fun that I let myself be star struck for once!

So we saw everyone – From Dhoni to Yuvraj to Jadeja to Raina to Rahane to Wasim Akram to Harsha Bhogle to Ganguly to Sidhu. We saw them at breakfast. We saw them at the gym. We saw them when they came back from the match. We saw them at breakfast when they were blue the next day. We saw them leave for India. We were not allowed to click pictures because the security was very tight. But I am ok. I like memories more than pictures.

Coming to the match that we unfortunately lost - it was one of the best experiences of my life. We sat amongst the local crowd who were supporting the opposite team. So, when they said ‘Go, Lanka, Go’ we responded ‘Home’. In the end they took their revenge by booing India at the top of their voices. It was a fun tug-o-war and we loved each moment of it. We clapped, we jumped, and we cursed, and in the end left with an experience that would perhaps be etched in our minds for life.

We were lucky indeed to go and be a part of this grand event. We were luckier to have India as a finalist.  I’ve told the Boy not to expect any more prizes since this is all one can expect in a lifetime. I’m grateful to be blessed in so many ways, really, I am.

That's Yuvraj behind me. Uncle could not resist taking a picture :)

Outside our hotel Lobby

Shopping at the hotel shop for the Big Match

Indian team warming up before the match

When the match almost got cancelled

Us :)

And did I tell you we came on TV for 1 'whole' second!
I told you all to look for us.
This is a shot from the recording :)


24 comments:

  1. What an amazing trip! New follower here. I'm dropping by from the "A to Z" challenge, and I look forward to visiting again.

    Sylvia
    http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing trip indeed!!!
    You forgot to mention Virat Kohli ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That guy was hiding somewhere. We didn't see him :(

      Delete
    2. Oh no!!! That is terrible! :-(
      You should have gone on a hunt :P

      Delete
  3. Even for not-a-fan-of-cricket like me, this was an exciting read. The enthusiasm in the way you describe this experience is catching :) Well done, Nisha! And you are a TV celebrity too :)
    Beauty Interprets, Expresses, Manifests the Eternal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right! I think I am ready to see football now. Someone please send me tickets :)

      Delete
  4. wah!!! Looks like fun! I was never a cricket fan though :P
    Youlook lovely with the band and all! GO BLUE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, Red! Everyone in the stadium becomes a cricket fan. Try it sometime, you'll love the energy.

      Delete
  5. To be in the same room as Yuvi is really something Nisha...you are really so damn lucky and I am so jealous :D
    Jokes apart..it looks like a lot of fun ! Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anita.. I even shook his hands and told him all the best. Ohhh.. did not want to wash my hands thereafter :P
      Poor fellow.. was criticized so much the same day :/

      Delete
  6. I am happy that you could see the final T20 at Dhaka free.Are you a cricket enthusiast?
    Good you saw some celebrities at close quarters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a die hard fan.. I am like an average Indian. Also, my husband pays more attention to these matches.. so you know.. sometimes I just hate cricket!

      Delete
  7. One whole second!! Wow, lucky you :P

    You seem to be blessed, not lucky! To win all these contests. And regarding the writing wins, believe me you win that because you and your writings are awesome. You know that already, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soumya...muahhhh!!! You always make me sooooo happy with your comments!

      I know my writings are fine.. but I don't believe much in the judging process sometimes. Oh, wait, that is only when I lose! Anyway, biggg hug! :)

      Delete
  8. woaaa this is pretty amazing!!! I have never won anything... you saw Yuvraj... you were on TV ... you visited a new place... this is awesome :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment makes me feel even better than before! Thanks!

      Delete
  9. What an amazing opportunity! It sounds like you had an amazing time. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Kathy. And here I was unsure of going initially. Thank God my husband convinced me!

      Delete
  10. Wow! You actually did come on TV! A celebrity finally! Congrats! And btw did u say you came from Bahrain?! I used to live there all my school days!
    Danny Simon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Danny, I live in this awesome island country since last five years. I'm sure it has changed a lot since you left. See my header.. its Bahrain!

      Delete
  11. haha m so JEALOUS ! you came on tv too

    ReplyDelete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)