Monday, November 25, 2013

The Women in the Bigg Boss house


Poles apart - Tanishaa Mukherjee and Gauhar Khan

I am guilty of being a Bigg Boss addict. Over the years, I’ve enjoyed Rakhi Sawant doing her antics, I’ve tolerated Rahul Mahajan’s irritating laughter, I’ve sailed through Imam’s mentally unfit behaviour, and I’ve laughed with Salman. But this year, the show has stooped to a totally different level and it is making me cringe.

If you watch this show you already know about the two love affairs that have emerged in this season – Armaan - Tanisha and Kushal - Gauhar. Armaan Kohli’s claim to fame is the fact that he is the son of a famous film producer and has acted in a few films that unfortunately did not work out for him. Tanisha Mukherjee comes from a family which is hugely successful in Bollywood. She’s Kajol’s sister, Nutan’s daughter, Ajay Devgan’s sister-in-law, Rani Mukherjee’s cousin, and the list goes on. She hasn’t been an accomplished actor herself but has apparently been a part of a 100-crore venture ‘Son of Sardar’. Anyway, even though the two actors haven’t had as much success as their family members, they are independent and have been working on something or the other.

Since these two are from the filmy background, they became friends in the very beginning. Also, they have pointed time and again that they are from a different ‘class’ and others are not upto their level. If this was not atrocious enough, they have now fallen to a newest low. Tanisha has been taking Armaan’s tantrums from the very beginning. Even when he’s in the wrong, she supports him like a 'true' friend. She brings him food and water and massages his hair. In return, Armaan trashes her at every given opportunity. When she tries to stop him from fighting, he tells her that he has come alone to this show and she means nothing to him.

You would think that a woman, an independent woman, would not tolerate this and start to ignore the man whom she met only a couple of months back in this moronic place. But no, she takes his anger and says she understands this behaviour! She holds his hand and says I know you are a good man but it is only your momentarily behaviour that can be annoying. In return, he pleads guilty and says he respects only his mother and her in the entire world and would never harm them in this lifetime! Ha! Both being the black sheep of the family have their insecurities and anger, but to take it out on another person is totally not justified.

On the other hand there is outspoken, opinionated, strong character of Gauhar Khan. If you would look at the forums, she is touted as being dominating and loud by, you guessed it, men. Armaan Kohli obviously doesn’t get along with her and Tanisha has had her problems as well. Kushal, being close to Gauhar stood for her when another contestant passed lewd comments during a task. It was done in a light manner but crossed a few boundaries. When Kushal reacted, he was thrown out of the show. So much for men who stand up for their women! 

During a weekend show, a caller asked Armaan Kohli the reason for his behaviour. He apologised and said it will never be repeated. So far he has tried to transform himself. But for how long? And why is Tanisha even taking this behaviour? The viewers look up to celebrities. This is a reality show which is believed to be not-so-scripted thanks to the live feed. How these celebs potray themselves has a huge impact on the audience. Armaan Kohli is just trying to show that it is okay for men to treat women in this manner. By smiling through it, Tanisha is trying to justify his actions.

When will our women stand up for themselves? If even the supposedly ‘confident’ ones succumb to pressure, how can you expect the other half to speak for themselves? I am sorry Tanisha, you might be dignified in certain mannerisms, but you have let women down.

Here is to Gauhar Khan; I hope she wins. Only because she has the ability to stand up for herself and not let us feel humiliated.

*Image from here.

18 comments:

  1. I don't watch this but I thought the responses were make-believe and deliberately made to create curious scenes for getting higher TRPs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling that they have selected passionate celebs and then create tough situations to bring out reactions. Whether it is scripted or not remains a mystery. If it was scripted, why will a famous actress behave the way she is behaving?

      Delete
  2. Even I am guilty too for watching it (Thanks to my wife who made me an addict). I totally agree woth you and it is really shameful and can not be justified.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your wife is lucky. Most of us have been unsuccessful in convincing our husbands to watch!!! They mock at us sooo much!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous11/26/2013

    I havent seen the show...nor intend to... but I think Gauhar Khan is hot and now after reading what you write... like her even more... !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya, she is goodlooking. And with Elli Avram gone, she is the only pretty one left.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous11/26/2013

    Armaan - Tanisha are making it really gross !!! Specially like you mentioned Armaan's demeaning behavior and Tanisha's tolerance towards it, both are unacceptable.

    Even I have liked Gauhar since the beginning but sometimes her justifications/opinions gets too much. She gets irritated/ has something strong to say even on the smallest stuff and just doesn't let it go. My recent favorite is Sangram.

    And just one thing, Tanisha is Tanuja's daughter :) Nutan's niece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I hate to make factual errors. Sorry for this one. I was so angry at this woman that I did not double check.
      I agree that Gauhar can be very loud at times. She is certainly not my favorite. Elli was. I also like Sangram and Andy. But I want Gauhar to win because that will be a lesson for the audience that you need to have your own opinion and characteristics to be a winner. You just cannot be submissive and weak.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous11/26/2013

    I am not a fan of big boss and I haven't watched even a single episode this time... so pardon my lack of knowledge though I totally feel i did the right thing going by what you have written here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me Jas, I am not proud of watching it. People who watch this show have weird characteristics. I wish I could change a few things but it is too late now ;)

      Delete
  6. I dont watch Big Boss but going by what you mentioned about Tanisha and Armaan, I am wondering why she is having such a regressive attitude. God, where's her self respect??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the end of the show I hope Tanishaa comes out as a respectable human being. She has been told time and again by people that she is being quite meek. Hopefully she will gain some sense and change.

      Delete
  7. I have watched few episodes and found this show absolutely annoying. the funniest thing is that the contestants never get a chance to work in a major project once they come out of the show :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, what about Sunny Leone and Sana Khan? They do get exposure otherwise none of these actors would enter the house to get humiliated!

      Delete
  8. Big Boss is a mad, messy place where everyone's mantra is "Footage ke liye kuch bhi karega!"
    I too had written this post few days ago, irritated by Tanisha's dumb acts.
    http://shaivikafunda.blogspot.in/2013/10/good-girl-gone-bad.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I like the title of your post! Going to read it now :)

      Delete
  9. I don't like either of them. They are both irritating in their own way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. But I still want people in this country to understand that it is NOT ok to be so submissive.

      Delete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)