Thursday, January 21, 2016

Eat hard, Exercise harder

So I think my weighing scale is lying. Not because it is telling me I am over-weight, but it is telling me I am less than what I thought I would be! You would say I should be doing a happy dance, but I am a paranoid girl who goes crazy when it comes to her weight.

Weight. You are going to hear a lot about that word this year. I have vowed, like umpteen times before, to reduce. Most of you know that my body cannot take the pressure of excess kilos. At 52, I was advised to reduce by 2-3 kgs. Now the doctor was the best in the country, so I didn’t take him seriously. Fast forward 11 years, I think he was right and all my basic instincts were false.

I hit my all-time high in December, thanks to yummy Diwali food at home. It showed. Things that were easier before were becoming harder. One evening it hit me hard. I decided to do something about it. It has been 1 month, yes, 30 days, and I have been the best student in my class!

The fact that I don’t have a teacher works best for me. None of my friends or the Boy gives me a hard time when I fail to achieve certain goals. They are all so supportive and loving. I read myself, I plan myself, I do myself, basically I am my own motivation.

Well, almost. One day I was watching this show on TV where the dietician said that even if you can’t do much, do atleast 10,000 steps a day when you want to lose weight. I have this friend living in my building whom I know since two years but hardly ever met. One day I just casually mentioned that we should walk in the mornings. She agreed. That day and today, we’ve become walking pals! She is the sweetest thing and keeps me motivated.

Then there is Instagram and Twitter. I have started following motivational people for a thought or two each day. I have downloaded one book so far and reading another paperback to keep me on track. I am trying to eat right, rest right and basically do everything that I have learnt in all the past few years of trying to stay healthy.

Two other companions in my journey are Netflix and my maid. I laze around at all other times I am not exercising. It is crucial for my health. So these books and constant support from a TV series is keeping me happy. My maid does basic work in the kitchen and so it hardly takes me any time to cook sumptuous, healthy meals each day. 

The only thing I am missing is writing. Even this is a distraction in a few ways and so I don’t want to open my laptop on most days. And since I am hoping that I would stick to my schedule for a few months now, I don’t know how much I will be able to come here. This would be a first in so many years. I feel bad.

But I feel good too! I am bang on my January targets and I cannot be happier. Things are not all that great but I am sure I will get there. The weather is perfect for all that I want to do. And I won a spa and brunch day at a 5-star today!

So you see, even God is smiling at me. Hope to keep in touch!

P.S. The abrupt brunch bit was just to make you jealous like I always do. Hugs!

3 comments:

  1. losing weight for me is not easy :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently pledged myself to lose weight. I have been relishing my sweet tooth since long. How I wish I could have days when I don't want to open my Laptop.I spend too much time there..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not trying to reduce..just want to maintain. It is more difficult than I thought it would be !

    ReplyDelete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)