Sunday, October 19, 2014

An Ode to my adorable Niece

I’ve seen many kids grow up around me. But my most favourite of them all is my 8-year old niece, N.
Now this may sound like self-praise, but this darling is so much like me. She’s sensitive, she’s secretive, she’s bubbly, and she’s a gem to have around. Being the first born in the next generation, she’s also the most loved and pampered of all. What is more, our names are just different by one letter!

I was unmarried when she was born and so, I share a very special connection with her. From cleaning her poop to taking her to school to reading her bed-time stories, I’ve done it all. These were the fun things that I was responsible for. It was my mum, her grand-mother, who took care of her healthy needs. After all, the aunt (ouch!) needs to be the fun part!

I saw my mother take care of her from the very beginning. She made sure N was massaged properly as a kid. Every family has a history of diseases. We were very careful she had none of our bad genes. My mother use to do light acupressure on her tiny feet. Not only her, my grandmother also massaged her legs!

When she grew a little older, they started giving her a regular dose of chyawanprash. Kids carry maximum germs from school and so, it was important to build her immunity. Her snack timings were fixed – a banana in the morning, honey almonds in the afternoon, chawanprash in the evening, and a candy whenever my dad opened his cupboard! She was such a doll that if my mother forgot one of these, she would ask for it herself, including the candy, ofcourse.

This angel is now all of 8. She goes to regular singing and piano classes because of her sweet voice and her mother’s love for music. During summer vacations, she goes for tennis and dancing lessons. She makes rangoli on Diwali, draws us cards on every occasion (she once made me a card for gifting her an iPad!!), skips, jumps, sings, dances, reads us stories… the list is endless.

All this wouldn’t have been possible if she was constantly falling sick. If she has a bad throat, her singing suffers. If she’s feeling weak, her love for tennis goes bust. I am so glad my family was pro-active when it came to taking care of the health of a little one. Her roots are solid and so, I don’t think anything can ever harm her now.

But you know what keeps her most active? -  her smile. This 8-year old has an ability to crack a joke at any given time. Laughter, they say, is the best medicine. And it is that which has kept her the way she is – pretty, sweet and the most adorable girl in the world!


And really, it is her that has given our home a new meaning. Our home is a happier place because of her running around and spreading the joy. Love you, my best!

Me with my favorite girl :)
This ode was written for Dabur's contest on Indiblogger wherein bloggers have to draw from personal experience and tell how a healthy child makes for a happy home.

9 comments:

  1. Honestly this does not look like a contest entry :D You know what I mean !
    I have a niece too who was born when I was single and I share the same bond with her ... and I love little daughters ...they simply lighten up the house !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know babe! Indiblogger is having these quick daily contests where everyone sort of wins GVs. Do check it out to understand what I did there :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, this as such a beautiful ode to a very cute angel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I could go on and on but just restricted myself to the contest bit :)

      Delete
  3. Well written. Hope you top the Dabur contest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww loved the post. My niece is my absolute favorite too. Just like yours she was born when I was single and working. I have done everything for her from cleaning poop to waiting outside her playschool anxiously. She is 15 now and a really lovely girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is such a pretty baby...so sweet and adorable...I loved your article...Hope you and the sweet angel stay happy forever...Lots of best wishes...

    ReplyDelete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)