Sunday, January 20, 2013

Lovin' it!


As a kid, traveling meant going to Nani’s house once every two years. We would travel by train, carry lunch boxes, Kismi toffee bars and read Pinki and Champak on the way. Those journeys were great fun and the time they took made no difference. God knows why we started flying.

My first flight was when I was 7 or 8. I got severe pain in the ears. I remember crying, that’s it, that’s all I remember. My first flight alone was when I was 18. I remember sitting next to a very handsome uncle reading Archies. I think he was the shortest crush I had. For the shortest time, I mean. Flying, suddenly, had a new meaning.

I think that was the time we got our passports made. There was no particular reason. Maybe it was a fad. Afterall, who went abroad? But I did. I went to Dubai in 2003 and fell in love with a foreign land. Zooming cars, clean roads, diverse cuisine, and just basic order at every place left me awestruck. Little did I know that I would be living in a foreign land for the longest time.

After 10 years, I got my passport renewed. It had two visa stamps which wasn’t bad at all. Even though travelling abroad had become economical and much easier, it wasn’t as frequent. Anyway, it’s been 3.5 years since I got my new passport.

The point I’m trying to come to is – that passport is full! It has visa stamps all over it. I’m counting the countries I’ve visited, flights I’ve taken, miles I’ve accumulated. I’m relishing the memories I’ve made, paths I’ve tread and remembering the people I’ve met.

Most of all, I’m counting my blessings.

I applied for a new passport booklet today – a jumbo one this time. May God bless this one as well! And yes, I already thanked the Boy for showing me the world. 

19 comments:

  1. Exactly. I also thanked my hubby here for giving the opportunity to fly over international waters. I also had my first domestic flight around 9 years of age, and flew domestic a lot. Its true that to see the world, one should be blessed enough. And to see that you count your blessings, its heartwarming. Because people seldom say thanks; they always want more. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anita. I think counting blessings is the best way to remain positive in life. It actually keeps me going.

      Delete
  2. 'Envy'! Both of you!
    Hav done domestic flights but no foreign land till now! :(
    Both of you conveniently saying thanx to your better halves. . I wonder what my future better half would say! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll advice you to find a girl who lives in a foreign country. That way she would ask you to be thankful ;)
      And anyway, on last count you were 24. You have a long way to go!!!

      Delete
    2. Rohan, you are lucky to have interacted with people like Nisha and me..(honestly) - cos wives usually nag and complain all the time and very very rarely are they thankful. Choose a life partner who is more thankful than they are demanding and peace can be assured in future ;-) By the way, nowadays flying international is not costly like before. Also you can consider Nisha's idea of choosing an NRI bride ;-)

      Delete
  3. Seeing other worlds is one of the best experiences you can have as a human. You are blessed. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Traveling is the best way to learn and discover life. I traveled very little before marriage, so this is like a new found passion!

      Delete
  4. Anonymous1/22/2013

    and this had to be the first post I read on yoru blog :-/

    bina passport wala hitchy :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for dropping by!
    Well, our country is a world in itself. Sooo many places to see. Bus itchcha honi chahiye :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1/22/2013

    Yup...Trains have its diff charm and I have always loved travelling. I mean more the travelling part than the destinations. And from past couple of years I have been only flying mostly for saving time and sheer convinience it provides, I have to think hard to remember which was the train journey I last took. But I miss trains. And surprisingly I love observing people on the airports rather than actually being in the flight.

    I also took my first international trip to Dubai last year, and fell in love with it. Some trips are lined up for this year and I am so looking forward to them. Travelling teaches you so much and also makes you appreciative of simple joys the home brings where ever it is.

    Btw will be reading you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a child it was fun travelling by train. But railway stations scare me now. Sometimes there are just too many people and being a girl, you always have to be careful. Argh!

      I too love observing people at the airport. And evesdropping! haha!

      Thankyou for dropping by!

      Delete
  7. loved reading this post!! yes, may God bless your new passport as well!

    even i used to travel by train when i was a kid. those were fun journeys! guess, train journeys are not fun anymore and not safe as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Last I travelled by train was 4 years ago. But that was Shatabdi ..so it was cool. Not sure how good are overnight journeys now.

      I hope this passport is as lucky as the last one :)

      Delete
  8. Anonymous1/24/2013

    Blessings to the new passport :) I also adored train journeys earlier but now they have become scary. and Nish, enable email subscription yaar. I miss your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My passport says Thankyou Jas!
      I never subscribed via email so had no idea about this! Added the email subscription gadget now :)

      Delete
  9. What a delightful little post! Made me think about the first time I flew, the first foreign trip, visa stamps etc, new passport booklet etc!
    Thank you for this. I am going to keep coming back to relive my own memories :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sweet! Makes me feel like a young girl! No offense :)

      Delete
  10. I felt good reading this post.. I went to London last year and still remember the excitement that I felt during the entire trip. My most important wish is to travel around the world and one day I hope to have a passport full of VISA Stamps as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, traveling is indeed lots of fun. Only wish flying was cheaper and there were less Visa issues for us.

      Delete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)