Monday, July 7, 2008

Old is Gold


Technology is luxury. But there are so many things I miss when technology was not really there. I remember running to the telephone as soon as it rang. There was a surprise everytime since there was no number/name blinking on it. And if we missed the ring, there was this mystery as to who called. The more number of blank calls I got, the prettier I felt!

I miss going to the park on a Sunday evening. Ok, maybe I'm a little old to go, but my niece can. She's missing all the fun we had riding the swings, lazying around, taking the toy train, filling our bag pack with sweets and chips and running around trees!

I miss fighting for the remote control. Maybe thats not technology for we had fewer TVs back then. Still, crying and pissing off my bro was fun.

I miss clicking pictures on a holiday, giving the film, waiting for it to be developed and then arranging it in an album. I was flipping through my childhood album day before and i had captured all my birthdays in it. With a camera phone in each hand these days, we hardly value pics that much.

I miss buying a tape and listening to it for over a year in the car! I still remember the lyrics of older songs 'coz we played it so many times. I don't think I've heard songs of one movie for more than a month or two post Lagaan.

I miss sending letters and cards. Sending and receiving cards on Diwali was a norm. Friends use to get emotional when we gave each other 'Between You and Me' cards. Then writing out your feelings with different sketch pens...it had a different charm.

Maybe we can still do these things. Have one TV at home, use a normal camera and not a digital one, keep cds of movies, go to parks in the evenings, just be like the 'olden' times and feel happy. Just like Samosa and chai still tastes like heaven on a breezy evening and is way better than any pizza and coke...

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous7/07/2008

    You so bet it is. We have at least experienced different. The newer generation has no clue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, the kids these days have missed out on the simple pleasures of life that we enjoyed. What's best about our generation is that we've seen the transition happening before our own eyes - from days when a landline in every home was also rare to now when even a pan wallah carries a mobile phone! Nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww me too...........except that we virtually just have one tv at home and there's no fight coz i let mum watch whatever she wants!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @det-res: so true.

    @D:i know. We are the luckiest generation I think. So rooted yet 'advanced'!

    @Zee: good for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. whats wrong with you...
    hmm i think i get it..dates cuming closer!!:D

    ReplyDelete
  6. five months exactly from the post!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just read this post and yes I agree with you and I miss old times...but believe me today's generation is making its own share of memories.

    And why can't your niece go to the park? Take her and I bet she will love it :)

    and write some new posts!

    ReplyDelete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)