Thursday, April 17, 2008

Loyalty Divided!


I watch cricket as much as an average Indian girl (yeah, I still hate the game when I get less attention that 11 men running after the 'ball'!!!) And like a patriotic Indian, I support my team even when they are not doing well (also, I know very little about other teams, just like an average Indian female cricket fan...phew!)

So come tomorrow, I'm in a confused state of mind. Should I support Bangalore that features my teenage heart throb Rahul dravid, has a better advertisement for their team (!!!), has Katrina Kaif and Vijay Mallaya cheering for them or should I support Dhoni who's done pretty well for our team in the past few months?

Or, for that matter, should i support the Hyderabad team thats supposedly very strong and has good chances of winning (remember, I just HATE to lose?!). I'll leave out the Jaipur team for they don't look interesting and anyway, a desert is not my type of destination as well!!I'll leave out Delhi as well and I really have no reason which makes it mediocre and I have no time supporting mediocrity!

Mumbai and Kolkata team looks very glamorous with Hrithik and Shahrukh boogieing for them respectively! Plus they have the likes of Sachin and Ganguly who have been in and out but are the strength of our team anyway.

Hmm, last but not the least is the team of Punjabis with Preity Zinta backing it up. Now I have three reasons to support it - One, my surname is Punjabi and soon it will also mean that I am actually a Punjabi! Two, its supported by the only female behind the IPL. Plus it has Yuvraj Singh and I really like the way he plays. Now those are three very, very strong reasons!

Ah, I hope this tournament is really good and doesnt do any harm to our 'secular' nation. Cricket unites us, and here it might just do the opposite. Apparently IPL says these are "Eight teams, without any players, only warriors" and the ad (I love the ad with the song) says its a Karmayudh. Just hope that every Indian takes it in that spirit and enjoys it 'ball by ball'!!!

Also, lets hope everyone picks their favorite team just the way I did. That way, we'll actually enjoy the series in the spirit its meant to be!

So Kings XI...Chak de phatte!!!

7 comments:

  1. hmmm... Being a Punjabi Kings XI s for me too... but sadly they lost...have 2-3 favouries like me.. better..
    n i guess the loyalty for a particular team will come in 2-3 years when this format will take its proper shape.. Till then enjoy all the swashbucking cricket..

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol
    not interested in watching cricket! :D

    -I

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're all in the same boat, aren't we?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice one..guess ill watch atleast one match now..;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @altering: not bad!

    @saurabh: guess u r right...but unless u r not supporting a team or two...thrs no fun watching. so im sticking to my decision!

    @impressionist: cool!

    @D: yeah we are!

    @shakti: these people shud give me money for promoting ipl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm already one ugly episode of Harbhajan & Sreesanth....

    ReplyDelete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)