Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Movie Review - Raanjhanaa



So the Boy was out on Friday night. He had read the story of Raanjhanaa like all Bollywood sceptics and discarded it as a story of a loser who tries to reunite the love of his life with her boyfriend. Since it is his least favourite genre, I thought I would have to watch it alone. Also, how could I miss something he would hate?

Anyway, it’s one of the most beautiful love stories I’ve ever seen. If you haven’t had the chance to watch it, I would advice you to give it a shot for you’ll love the characters, the plot, the direction, the dialogue, the setting, the music...the works.

For starters, the movie begins with a small Hindu boy Kundan (Dhanush) falling in love with a girl Zoya (Sonam Kapoor). When they hit adolescence, he confesses his love. The girl hesitates and then agrees. Her Muslim family obviously disapproves and sends her to Aligarh to study further. After 9 years, when the girl returns to the hometown of Benaras, the boy is still in love with her. But the girl had moved on. The boy then helps her reunite...

That’s just half the movie. I guess that’s where most people stop reading and trash the movie as a boring love story. What you don’t read in the reviews is the acting, the one-liners, the conviction... Sometimes, genuine movie buffs (like moi!!!) don’t give out the entire movie. You really have to watch this one to know what lays ahead for Zoya, Kundan and Jagjit (Zoya's new boyfriend).

Since it’s a movie, something is bound to be illogical. But the unconventional take on love keeps you glued. Zoya is an extremely strong character and a true depiction of the bold woman of today. Dhanush is a lovable, sensitive man whom you fall in love with. He is actually brilliant in the film and proves that you don't have to be goodlooking to be a star.The supporting cast makes its mark as well. The story – it racy enough to keep you interested.

I am going to convince the Boy and watch it again with him. Do watch it once, it is soooo much better than Ye Jawaani hai Deewanis of today.

14 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the movie. dialogue, cinematography, dhanush, sonam, swara, abhay....everything even the second half. I wished though the ending had been a happy one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the last dialogue. For once, I didn't find the ending that sad :)

      Delete
  2. I really want 2 watch this one. :-) After reading this, def going to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sat through the entire movie alone without trying to look at my watch late at night. Now that says a lot about a Hindi film :)

      Delete
  3. Haha anything should be better than YJHD :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, then maybe I compared it with a wrong movie!

      Delete
  4. Anonymous7/05/2013

    I also enjoyed the movie a lot... the second half had some unreal moments but overall worth a watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen any movie till date which doesn't have its illogical moments. That's just like life, isn't it?

      Delete
  5. I loved the movie...Love was depited in an amazing way...the total enveloping madness which makes just your love so obsessive that you are completely oblvious of anybody else's love for you...the subplot was amazing there...brilliant chracter portrayals of Zoya and Kundan. Sonam finally acts and Dhanush and Abhay were superb. Even though Abhay didn't get a lot of lines and time onscreen but he did manage to steal my heart the moment he appeared in that kurta :P
    A fresh breath from the stereotype that the romance genre has turned out to be in Bollywood.
    P.S.- Following you now ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! And Abhay Deol in that purple kurta - oh, how could I not mention that *drool* :D

      Delete
  6. Everyone has been raving about this movie. I have to take out time for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Set your expectations low, Amit. I had not read reviews or even seen a single promo of the film :D

      Delete
  7. Wow! A very high recco! Have heard such positive reviews for this one. Hope we get to see it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must! Unless we don't promote films like these, the directors will keep making Jab tak Hain Jaan..ughh!!

      Delete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)