Friday, July 12, 2013

Movie Review - Lootera

Still from the movie Lootera

Certain movies touch your heart in a zillion ways. I thought Lootera was one of them. I admired the creativity in each canvas. And cried oodles for the characters.

My expectations were set low because I was told that the movie is very slow and boring. And then, I read a few good comments. Just to let you know, I never read reviews before watching a movie. What you like and what I like can be totally different. Reading a review is like reading the last page of a book first - total spoiler.

Having said that, I write reviews for people who would want to read and go! It is a personal choice, right?

Anyway, the tragic story of Lootera is a about a girl Pakhi (Sonakshi Sinha) who falls madly in love with a man Varun (Ranvir Singh). The man reciprocates but due to circumstances they depart on sour terms. The girl then turns into a recluse unable to get over the heart break. What happens next is for you to watch... I don't tell detailed accounts of the story.

I am not a big fan of the two actors and so I found it hard to watch them romancing. What kept me glued is the way the movie is directed. And then when the plot turned and twisted, my eyes stuck to the screen till the last shot. The movie is beautifully filmed for the 1950's. The old world charm is stunningly captured with vintage cars, telephone rings, romancing under the trees and ink pens. I thought the scenes with snow fall were awesome.

What is still creating a ruckus in my head is the character of Pakhi. She loved a man to bits and turned her life upside down when he left. Agreed that there were a couple of more tragedies that magnified her grief, but aren't we suppose to 'rise in love'? The boy was in her life for hardly a month, how could someone get so close in such a short span to let him ruin her life?
Then again, love is mysterious. Some find the ability to get up and get going while others hold on to it like it was a crime to let go. No matter what, when it touches you deeply, a part of you stays put forever. But holding on to something that can never be yours and mulling over it for the rest of your life - that for me is criminal. Love is too beautiful to make you lose your life over it. If you want to celebrate that love, celebrate life and the fact that you had a chance to feel it...

I thought Pakhi's character was one of the most beautiful ones ever written. Watch Lootera for that. It will make you question a lot about love.

7 comments:

  1. Totally agree! I loved the sepia tint of the movie.

    A beautiful love story after ages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7/14/2013

    Even I never read a review before going to a movie, just go out there and experience it myself. I too loved the movie.

    Do read my review of the same.
    http://reveringthoughts.wordpress.com/2013/07/05/lootera-my-review/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the thumbs up for this movie... hope we check it out in this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi

    nice review..My friend told me the same abt the cinematography, she loved it too and after watching songs and promos, i too think the same :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7/16/2013

    Finally a good review of the movie. I knew it wasn't that bad. I can smell bad movies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can say awesome movie after a long time, Ranveer and Sonakshi is best couple on silver screen...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7/21/2013

    I loved it too... it was beautiful, the way the story unfolded, mesmerizing cinematography, songs, acting. Perfect for the movie date I had with TBH.

    ReplyDelete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)