Thursday, February 11, 2016

The Valentine's Day Cribber

New Year, Birthday, Anniversary, Christmas and all other angrezi festivities are days of immense pressure, and so is Valentine’s Day. Whoever said that it was an occasion to express your love was definitely in love a million times; with different people ofcourse!

Ok, ok. Let me not behave like a 33-year old. I need to fall in love every day, a million times. I need to keep the fire burning. I need to celebrate each day because it is special. Life is a celebration. Yada, yada, yada.

Basically you run out of ideas. If you were a millionaire with no work and all play, you could do a few things. Like go on a holiday to a new destination in First Class on every occasion. But that would also become mundane eventually. Oh, how much would I love to make travelling mundane!

But poor people like us (poorer than millionaires, I mean), have to work on Sunday (Middle East Sunday is like Monday). This year’s Valentine’s day is on Sunday. How can anyone expect us to put in effort, get all dressed up and go out to celebrate when the next morning we have to get up at 6 a.m.?

Then there is the preceding weekend. Now usually I am all bored by Thursday. I want to eat out, go on long drives, meet people, watch movies and just do a lot of things on the weekend. I renew my energy on Friday and Saturday so that my following week is fruitful. So after having a minimum of three meals outside on the weekend, how can I go out again on Sunday?

Now I am being like the type of person I hate – the cribber. They find faults in everything. However, I do have valid points. Unless you have a romantic partner who brings you roses every time, this day does lose it sheen. Frankly, I can’t remember being excited about Valentine’s day ever, except for the first 2-3 times maybe. I was in my early 20’s, and life was a big red heart filled with flowers and chocolates and Shiv Sena’s danda. Sneaking out and celebrating this day was most thrilling. And now, there is no mommy at the door to hold out a ruler and ask you about your whereabouts.

I was more excited when I didn’t have a Valentine. I wrote a poem called ‘Damn, Valentines Day’ and sent it to the local newspaper. To my amusement, they even published it. I actually kept looking out from my window to see if any boys from school were doing their usual rounds!

That just reminds me of the fact that I should be grateful that atleast I have a Valentine. I can torture him to bring me whatever I want. If I try harder, he would book me a nice dinner. Maybe I can take a little initiative and do something to make him feel guilty that he’s not doing anything.

Ah, the joys of being in love!

6 comments:

  1. Have a great valentines. Stay blessed..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Valentines Day!
    Cheers to having a valentine and being able to TORTURE him for a gift ... *Evil Grin*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha.. yes.. having a Valentine is a gift in itself!

      Delete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)