Friday, July 11, 2014

Movie Review - Humpty Sharma ki Dulhania


You know you have loved a movie when even after 1 hour of watching it you are singing its songs. Samjhaawan is certainly one of the most beautiful songs of recent times and the movie Humpty Sharma ki Dulhania is an excellent film to be featuring it.

The movie is set in Delhi and Ambala. Humpty/Rakesh Sharma(Varun Dhawan) is a happy-go-lucky, Casanova who is, being a hindi film hero, an emotional fool and extremely kind-hearted.  He meets Ambala girl Kavya Singh (Alia Bhatt) who comes to Delhi to shop for her upcoming wedding. They become friends and love follows. That’s the first half of the movie which has a lot of resemblance to Dilwale Dulhaniya le Jayenge. And done very well at that.

The second half doesn’t go the DDLJ way. Although I loved every bit of it, I was in a way relieved that it was different. I’m not going to tell what happens next or who does what because that is for you to go and watch. Humpty has two friends – Shonty and Poplu. Yes – Shonty and Poplu. For me, Poplu (Sahil Vaid) was the star of the movie. His one-liners throughout the 2 hours and some 20 minutes entertained the audience the most. They had a lot of role in making the second half fast paced and better than the first.

A special mention goes to Kavya’s father, Mr. Singh (Ashutosh Rana), who plays the role of a protective yet practical father. The moments between him and Humpty are an absolute delight to watch. Siddharth Shukla as Angad was, umm, good. Although I feel that he will have to work hard at shedding his television image. 

The chemistry between Alia and Varun is excellent. I was glad that Alia’s role was not stereotyped in anyway. She’s very real - a bubbly, chirpy, ‘modern’ girl with strong principles. Needless to say, she's my favorite actress now!

I thought the songs could have been better. There were 2-3 very filmy scenes that could have been avoided. But then that’s allowed. Overall, HSKD is a very Bollywood kind of film with funny and warm scenes that keep you glued. I thought it had masala, melodrama, humour, romance - everything perfectly in place for people like me who love romcoms. It cannot surpass Dilwale Dulhaniya le Jayenge, but it certainly did come close. I’ll give it 4 out of 5 stars for the whole feel good factor. Come what may, watch it and have a great weekend!

P.S. I'm writing a movie review after the longest time. Bollywood has been disappointing me. Barring Queen and Highway, I have not liked anything in the last year. HSKD was quite a relief.

30 comments:

  1. The trailer was not luring enough. But your review certainly is!!! Now I feel like watching this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I can watch it again! But then that's me - a sucker for romcoms! It is a typical bollywood love story. Thankfully, this time, they've managed to do it the way we love it.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous7/11/2014

    Have you watched first day first show???? I don't like Alia so I was thinking of skipping the movie. I will go only because you are saying so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in Bahrain na. First day first show here means Thursday night show.

      Delete
  3. looking forward to this one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes.. Alia is super in this one too!

      Delete
  4. Movies like these (especially with new faces) are holding on well these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmmmm you know for some reason these new breed of actors , I cant connect with them .. dont know why .. so many new movies have come I look at the poster and cant connect to the person .. as i would with maybe salman or sunny deol etc etc

    maybe I am growing OLDDdddddddddd :)


    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It happened to me too last year. But then I woke up and told myself I cannot grow old so fast!!! And so I started following the likes of Arjun Kapoor, Siddharth Malhotra, Varun Dhawan, Alia, Nargis, Parineeti, etc, etc, etc!!!
      You must too - these 'kids' are really talented :p

      Delete
    2. he he he yes I liked the word "KIDS" :)

      Delete
  6. Hey, an award awaits you at my blog :) Check you out here http://callitatale.blogspot.in/2014/07/the-quintet-of-radiance-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, Soumya! I hope I can do a post on that :)

      Delete
  7. Nice review, Nisha. Yes, the DDLJ influence looms large.
    I like the songs. Good that you have not revealed the story! I'm planning to watch it tomorrow :)
    Even I love RomComs & this one looks cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you've seen it and written a review as well... you know exactly how I felt!

      Delete
  8. Prior to Interval it was pretty boring..but I agree Alia's character was not stereotyped and Ashutosh Rana and Poplu were the real stars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The second half was better but I didn't find the first half boring. And yes, Poplu was too good!

      Delete
  9. Anonymous7/12/2014

    Thanks for the review Nisha, I might watch the movie! :)
    Also, if you haven't seen it, watch Hasee to Phasee - it's a super-nice and feel-good rom-com minus a lot of annoying stereotypes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw Hasee to Phasee and found it average. I loved Parineeti's acting in it though.

      Delete
  10. To be frank when I heard the title I thought it was going to be something like Besharam ! Well, I dint expect this ! I have added this to my list now !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha.. I didn't watch Besharam. Frankly I don't even watch trailers these days. We just go if we are bored on a Thursday evening and try our luck!! Yes, you have to be lucky to enjoy a Bollywood movie these days!

      Delete
  11. Your review makes me consider watching this movie, Nisha! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes go ahead. Although we get mixed reviews for everything these days, I don't think you will get bored even if you have a different taste in movies.

      Delete
  12. okay i am sorry but i have to say that i dont like Alia and Varun....
    and since its a rip off of my all time favorite DDLJ!!!
    i wont watch it even if i get to do so for free... :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DDLJ is my fave too! And nothing can ever come close. It's a tribute and I think it was done in a decent way without trying to say that it's a remake.

      I don't like Varun either. But he acts well. And Alia, well, I am awed by her talent at such a young age. She looks pretty as well.

      Delete
    2. Tribute, rip off, dedication, inspired, based on, remake... blah blah blah...
      DDLJ is DDLJ :P Nothing can take its place :P

      I don't know... but I have this 'aversion' kind of thing for both of them :-/
      Though I liked 2 States, but not because of Alia... and I haven't watched Highway because of Alia... (I hope this make sense :P)

      Delete
    3. Haha.. It's ok. There is nothing in these movies that you MUST watch. You deserve happiness :p

      Delete
    4. Haaaaa... Thank you so much, Nisha
      Lots of love and happyness to you too :-*

      Delete
  13. Wow! That's really high rating...I have heard a lot of mixed reviews, though I am yet to watch it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I hated 2 States and Ek Villain and everything that has been released this year barring Queen and Highway. Maybe that helps!!

      Delete
    2. ya queen n highway r really good, but i haven't seen 2 states or 1 villain either.............

      Delete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)