Thursday, July 3, 2014

End




Her fingers tremble
Tremble as she wipes the dust off the knob
Opens the lock with her key
Staring at the staircase with melancholy.

It is here she spent
Spent the best years of her life
Running up and down playing with Ma
Learning new songs, trying Salsa.

She walks inside and looks
Looks into the barren rooms
A memory makes her smile
She touches the wall and waits awhile.

Why is it hard
Hard to let go
The new owners will be here by noon
It won’t be hers, it will be theirs soon.

They’ll make memories
Memories which were hers once
Of dancing in the Kitchen, laughing like a retard
Sneaking a kiss with her first in the backyard.

Will they keep it better
Better than her family?
Will they hang murals, paint the wall blue
Will they plant roses and make some bonsai too?

She thought about the days
Days when the house was happy to be their home
She wishes for its happiness and lets out a tear
Then prays for its growth for it is still very dear.

She reluctantly turns her back
Absorbs the jealousy
Best things, possibly, come to an end
Move on, make room for new or, at least pretend.

16 comments:

  1. Soooo moving! I loved it. It really hard to let go of the things related to your roots-her house in this poem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, Ankita. Somethings are too dear to let go. Especially if you have precious sentiments attached to them.

      Delete
  2. I could relate because we sold our old house. Whenever I am in town I am forced to pass it and get so jealous looking at those who stay there now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my case, even though jealousy runs deep, I pretend everything is alright. Sometimes we just don't have a choice!

      Delete
  3. This is something that I would probably never do , the house where i grew up is lying empty back home as everyone has moved on but i dont have the heart to sell it .

    moving poem reminded me of a lot of things

    Bikram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reminds me how you haven't sold your old car. I hold on to stuff as well, but I know that it is for my own good to let go. You must too.

      Delete
  4. Letting go of things so close to us is always difficult... :-(
    Be it a house, a car or even a person...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. The house could just be a metaphor..

      Delete
  5. Really great Nisha Jee

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have rented the apartment we lived in for most of my life, it tears me to bits, every time I have to pass it.

    Love this poem. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every corner has a story, right? Thankyou!

      Delete
  7. I moved to another house three years ago, but still miss my old one. So I know exactly how this feels :')

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could relate to this one a lot. Moving on is inevitable. And sometimes, we have to leave a lot of things behind in order to make space for new ones, I guess... Loved it Nisha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i loved it !! you have written it so beautifully that i can totally relate and a flashback of all my previous houses rolls infront of my eyes :) !

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's very hard to let go of such wonderful memories. This was so moving!

    ReplyDelete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)