Thursday, March 5, 2015

Acts of Kindness,Hope for the future

Everyday we hear stories of pessimism, hate, regret, and general gloom. Our newspapers are filled with stories that make us look like a world full of negative people. Stories revolve around terrorism, rape, theft, bribery and the works.  Basically, we dig such stories. No one wants to hear happy tales. People take joy in someone else’s sorrow.

In such times when you hear stories of compassion, your heart fills with optimism. You realise that the world is not all that bad. You realise that it is only a fraction of people who make this world stink. There are a billion others who are trying to make this world a special, wonderful place. These are the people who give you hope for a brighter tomorrow. I know of several such people, trying to spread joy.

One of my aunts comes from a modest family. The husband works hard to make ends meet. They have saved hard earned money to educate their two sons. Only recently I came to know that no matter what, they give 10% of their annual household income to the needy. When I got to know about this gesture, I was filled with pride. And hope. How often do we come to know what is going on inside a person’s house?

I was browsing through my social media website recently. An Arabic woman had posted a video. In that clip, she was giving presents to her maid. The maid had no idea what the lady had got for her. She was literally howling with joy. Frankly, we just hear stories of how Arabic households exploit their help. This was indeed a ray of sunshine.

I know of a charitable organization that takes care of young boys who are abandoned by their parents. This place takes only 1 re. per day from anyone who wants to give. You give just 365 Rs. in a year, and they care of the rest. Thousands of people have joined hands with this organisation which is doing a really good job in bringing up these boys.  It was started by someone I know. There are people who sacrifice a big career to do something good for the world. Don’t they just inspire you to do the same?

I keep coming across random acts of kindness. I’ve seen my mother give her savings to anyone who needs it. The help in my house has bought everything from land to fridge to a gold chain by borrowing money from her. Sometimes, when she doesn’t need the money, she doesn't take the money back. I’ve learnt the same from her and so, I keep giving whenever I can.

These are stories selflessness. They fill you with hope for a brighter tomorrow. There is no better joy than giving someone else happiness. These are moments I look up to when I feel how terrible our world is.

1 comment:

  1. Heartwarming stories all of them! Compassion and optimism around us make us believe in the innate goodness of people.

    ReplyDelete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)