Sunday, December 21, 2014

The last few days - Snippets from Mumbai

It’s a beautiful Sunday morning. As I sit by the window sipping my tea and enjoying the golden rays of the winter sun, I'm thinking of the days gone by. It has been such an eventful month and I just have to let you all know about it.

To tell you the truth, I was extremely skeptical about December. Traveling alone is a huge challenge for me - physically. It might not seem so hard on the outside, but it makes me very anxious. I also know that there is nothing that I can’t do; still, it seems like an uphill task whenever I have to do anything alone.

Anyway, I set on a journey to Mumbai at the end of November. One of my favorite cousins, N,  was about to get married and I wanted to be a part of her big day. Although the wedding was a week away, I went a few days earlier because I didn’t want to be just a guest. I could have easily gone with the Boy who came for the three important days, but no, I took the ‘challenge’ and just went ahead. I’m so proud of that.

As soon as we landed N’s younger sister Meera, who remains my bestest cousin, picked me up from the airport and we straightaway went to have gol gappas! Oh, what joy! The rest of the evening was spent catching up with family members and the usual pre-shaadi merriment.

The next few days went by in a jiffy. N is still pursuing her MD and so, there were quite a few last minute chores. We went for shopping, lunching and random loafing around.

Dance practices have become the most important part of weddings and this one was no exeption. N and Meera are the most fabulous dancers I know. It was a delight to see them dance on Madhuri numbers. But my favourite were a gang of NRI aunts who had come from different parts of the world to attend N’s wedding. Most of them were childhood friends of N’s mother. Looking at them made me feel hopeful. I now know what I would be doing some 20 years from now when my closest friend’s children get married. Till a few years back only relatives were a part of the big fat Indian wedding. As the times are changing, friends have become as important as blood relatives, probably more significant. I’m so glad that I have my share of unconditional love as well..

So we were put up in this luxurious hotel for the main 3 days. The Boy joined in from Bahrain to attend his first wedding in the Punjabi khandaan. He’s an introvert, and for him this wedding was a big pain! His college friends and booze helped him get through these tough times!!

Men!

In between all the wedding hoopla came our 6th wedding anniversary. We took a break from relatives and had yummy grub at Taj Land Ends. Since we had a lunch invite as well, we went for 15 minutes to show our faces. There was a surprise cake awaiting us which made me feel so special. Needless to say, I love sooooo many people from my extended family.

Like all vidais, this one was deeply emotional as well. My aunt, uncle and Meera cried their hearts out seeing one of them leave their abode. Theirs is one of the most closely knit families I know and so, it broke my heart as well. But this is how it works - women get married and leave their parent’s home. No matter how long it has been since they left their home to study/work, getting married and knowing that now they will have to accept and be accepted in a new home, is always an emotionally draining experience. The more I think about it, the more weird this custom sounds to me…

The Boy left after the wedding festivities were over. However, my journey was not over yet. I had to go to Lucknow to attend yet another wedding. This one was as glamourous and as Big as an Indian wedding can get. Although I can keep writing, I’d leave that post for tomorrow! I think I’ll have to post every day now to talk about my last few days. It has been THAT long since I’ve been here.

You guys were definitely missed :)


4 comments:

  1. I have to say this! I missed you a LOT :-(
    but yayayayayay you are back :-)

    Had gol gappas!!! Wow! Hi5 to that :-D I also would have done the same :-D

    Weddings are always amazing :-)
    It brings the whole family together and what more fun can we ask for!!!

    So happy to see u back :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so cute, Rupasi!! I'm so happy to be back and read comments like these!

      Delete
    2. yayayayayayayay :D
      Thank u SO MUCH!!!
      :-*:-*:-*:-*:-*:-*:-*:-*:-*:-*

      Delete
  2. Seems you had dollops of fun at the wedding. Mumbai is always fun to visit.

    www.vishalbheeroo.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)