Sunday, December 28, 2014

The last few days - Birthday no. 32

Birthdays have always been very special to me. On mine, I want to feel special; on someone else's, I like to make them feel happy! This birthday of mine was no exception. Although it has been some 40 days, I think I need to report here so that I never forget how awesome I felt on that particular day!

So it started some 2-3 days before the big day. I had told the Boy that this year you have to 'surprise' me with a phone. Although I wanted the M8, I had to make do with an S5 because the Boy has M8 and we cannot have two similar phones at home. I didn't ask for an iPhone 6. It's such a fad and I really want to stay away from anything that serves a herd mentality. I mean really... people buy an iPhone and show it off like it's some kind of a status symbol. Why, oh, why!? Anyway, so I told him I wanted a black S5 as a 'surprise' gift! Ofcourse there was a surprise element here. I didn't know when I will receive it!! Like an obedient husband, he bought me one a few days prior to my birthday and I told everyone how I got a 'surprise' gift!!

Basically the last few months had been tormenting. Every husband around me was surprising his wife. Now I am a normal human being with little bit of extra jealousy factor in me. And then there is this added pressure of answering the question - so what did he give you this year? So, you know, I had to plan my surprise! When I told my mom that he usually doesn't buy me any gifts, her reply was - he has given you such a beautiful life, what else do you want?

Hmm!! Why do mothers always favour the son-in-law?

Coming back to the birthday... a few friends bought me a cake at 12 in the night. My school friends did that awesome con-call that we do at 12 in the night. Did I mention that before? My three absolutely gorgeous friends and the fabulous me have tried to make this a tradition. I remember when we were in school -  we use to call each other at 12 to wish. So, to keep the kid in us alive, we do a con-call from different parts of the world on each other's birthdays. Believe me, those 5 minutes are the most precious. We laugh like crazy and just talk nonsense. We do need to hang up because husbands are usually waiting trying to understand what the fuss is about! And believe me, this con-call thing is very hard to organize on other days. We are all so busy. So this birthday thing is most dear to me.

The next day I took phone calls as usual and just chatted a lot. A friend of mine invited me to lunch at her place and treated me with the yummiest pav-bhaji I've had in a long time. Another friend took a half day at work and picked me up to go to a third friend's place. As soon as I entered, I saw a decorated home with a surprise cake.

Did I tell you my greatest blessing are my friends?

The Boy took me out for dinner in the evening. We went to this fabulous water-front restaurant and talked away to glory. He knows how excited I am on my birthday and so, he really made me feel like a princess. He said yes to all my orders. I also told him that I want to celebrate my birthday twice a year and he readily agreed! Oh, what a day!

And yes, one of my friends even wrote me a poem!

Did I tell you that the greatest gifts cannot be bought? These small gestures stay in your heart and keep you happy forever. And that's why I believe what my mom says - a beautiful life is indeed the most precious gift that you can give anyone.

Here's to many more birthdays like this one. May you have the same happiness :)

A sneak peak into my fabulous 32!!

P.S. I am not sorry if this reads like a 16-year old's birthday post. Be prepared to read similar ones in the years to come!

11 comments:

  1. Haha Cuteness
    stay 16 forever babes ..belated happy cake day :) hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww!! Thanks a ton!! :) *Hugs back*

      Delete
  2. haha.. stay happy always Nisha :)
    P.S. You DO REALIZE that if u have two birthdays a year, u will grow twice as old :D :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha!! That would just invite more compliments; you know - tumhari twacha se tumhari umar ka pata hi nahi chalta types!!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous12/29/2014

    hahaha :D It does read like a post of 16 year old but that's the thrill. Happy 16 :) Loved the 'surprise' you planned :D And this tradition is also so awesome. I mean it keeps the friendship alive too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To enjoy the thrill of a birthday you have to be like a teenager/kid. As we grow older we become boring and really don't relish birthdays. I'm glad I am that way!

      And yes, this 12 a.m. birthday wish tradition is the best. I hope we can keep it forever.

      Delete
  4. HAPPY belated BIRTHDAY :D

    That surprise gift- Hahahaha :D
    And those midnight calls are truly so special :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! For a happily married life, these 'surprise' gifts are very important! Take my word for it.

      Delete
  5. Looking at you I can say that you never grow old!! You are that awesome :)

    The boy is super cute na, he is blessed to have you. Now you do not have to give him any gifts for his birthday :P

    And I loved the surprised. A planned surprise is always better ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you are tooo sweet to say that!! Although I believe that too ;p

      And yes, planned surprise is always better. I would always want such a setting!

      Delete
  6. hehehehe Happpy belated birthday!!!We should always consider our birthdays important..I hate how u grow up and pretend that its not a big deal when actually it is!
    You look amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)