Friday, September 12, 2014

Movie Review - Finding Fanny


My Rating:

I was very eager to watch Finding Fanny from the day I saw its trailer. It seemed like a refreshing tale and I thought this movie would be hatke.

Well, indeed it was hatke. The movie starts in a small, sleepy town in Goa called Pocolim. The people who live there lead a slow but eventful life. The main inhabitants of this town include the gorgeous Angie (Deepika Padukone), who was widowed within 5 minutes of her wedding. She lives with Rosie (Dimple Kapadia), her mum-in-law, whose 'dead' husband story seems rather mysterious. Her best friend is an old, ex-postmaster, Ferdie (Naseeruddin Shah), who does little apart from singing in the Church's choir. And then there is an outsider, 'talented' artist Don Pedro (Pankaj Kapur), who comes in search of his muse and finds it in Rosie's round figure.

These 4 along-with Savio (Arjun Kapoor) who was Angie and her husband's best friend go on a road trip to find Fanny, Ferdie's love of 46 years. What happens along their journey and at their destination is for you to see and relish.

This movie, for me, was like reading a short story from a great author. It had simple settings, subtle humour, heartwarming characters, easy narration and something to look forward to always. There is nothing that will wow you and nothing that will make you yawn. My husband didn't once look at his phone's screen which itself says a lot about the movie!!

Thankfully the director, Homi Adajania of Cocktail and Being Cyrus fame, doesn't try too hard to add over-the-top humour. The characters play their age and act like normal people do. It is one of the few movies in which none of the actors disappoint with Naseeruddin Shah stealing the show. Well, ofcourse.

The movie is like an easy-going evening on a beach in Goa. Now who wouldn't like that?

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for the Review ..I was just hearing Pathetic and Terrible Movie from everyone around me..I had been desperately waiting for this one and simple slow moving movies with little less drama does appeal to me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is certainly not for people who like Singham Returns, Humshakal, etc. It's a laid-back film which will be most appreciated by people who like to read.

      Delete
  2. I don't know... But maybe I was expecting too much from the movie, so when I ended up watching it, I was disappointed :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely lacks a wow factor. That is why I gave it 3 stars. However, I hope it does well so that we do away with nonsensical movies that we have to watch these days.

      Delete
    2. I agree :-D

      Its not a 'leave your brain at home' movie, and we need such movies more!!!

      Delete
  3. I like feel good movies. Not loud ones. I may like this one, like you said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a simple tale with simple people and simple settings. Nothing to dislike really :)

      Delete
  4. This one looks like a breezy movie which I will enjoy. Will plan an evening out for this movie :) Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I like to keep it short and simple :)
      Thanks!

      Delete
  5. Wow, you enjoyed the movie. Most of the other reviews gave it a lukewarm treatment. I think I will catch it when it comes on telly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If this was made in Hollywood, people would have gone gaga over it! We need to enjoy simplicity as much as we praise the likes of Dhoom (which I thought was not even worth watching)!

      Delete
  6. I will watch it only because it's not the usual bollywood movie with flying cars and indecent songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha.. that's reason enough :)

      I'm sick of stupid humour in our movies. Whatever happened to class? At least Finding Fanny is classy in a lot of ways.

      Delete
  7. The best thing I liked about the movie is the location. We have such wonderful places here in our country, I don't understand why people go for "foreign location shooting"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even Deepika was looking so pretty without much make-up and very simple clothes. Frankly, the movie is simplicity at its best. Sadly, people just don't have a taste for it anymore.

      Delete
  8. I loved the movie...I really did..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so eager to watch this movie :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)