Monday, August 11, 2014

A Walk through Vienna and Salzburg - Part 1

This year we decided to visit Austria with the Boy's parents. We chose this country because the older generation loves greenery and mountains more than anything else. We wanted to show them how a foreign country actually looks like since they've just seen Bahrain and our resident country is not the best example of a good-looking phoren destination! And sending them through a group holiday would have meant creamy, greasy Indian food from restaurants that would have raised their cholesterol and blood pressure levels.

So this vacation was a very different one. We booked apartments instead of hotels so that we can do some cooking as well. We took theplas, dals and masalas. Any European country supermarket is like a normal one where you would find everything from onions to tomatoes to eggplant to cauliflower. So we bought our daily veges everyday. Me and MIL divided the chores and the daily cooking thing was a cakewalk. A dishwasher in both our apartments simplified our job further. Plus, me and the Boy usually ate out. So it was just for them.

Anyway, I started with cooking in this post because that was really one unique thing which we did in this trip. Since we plan to travel a lot in life, I think this experience will help us in the years to come when we would prefer home cooked meals while discovering the world. Also, the thrill of cooking in a new kitchen is amazing. The same chores become exciting!

With the menu included in my well-planned itinerary, we stepped into Vienna. The views from the plane were amazing. This country has so much green cover, it's unbelievable. I saw a lot of forest cover from the plane itself.

When you venture into the city, the first thing that strikes you is the great architecture. The first day we visited St. Stephan's Cathedral. The Gothic architecture both in and outside the church was mind-blowing. (We then remembered how we have been to more churches than temples in the last 5 years!) We walked around the square and ate at a Turkish restaurant before retiring in our sweet abode.


St. Stephan's Cathedral - One of the best I've ever seen

Stephan's Cathedral from the outside.
My inability to take pictures can capture only this much!
Oh yes, before going further I would like to tell you about the beautiful house we stayed in. It's called Emperor Sissi's center jewel. It was located about a kilometer away from the city center and was like a home away from home and a very, very pretty one at that. With two bedrooms, 2 baths, fully-equipped kitchen and a typical Vienna neighborhood, we felt like we belonged there. Have a look at this apartment which has a former empress as its theme:

The lovely living area.


One of the bedrooms. The apartment is like a dream home from which
all of us can take inspiration to decorate.
The next morning we hopped on a Hop-on-Hop-off bus and explored the Danube river that flows through Vienna. We took a cruise and admired the beauty. We then went to the Hofburg Palace that has housed some of the most powerful people in the European and Austrian history. The architecture of this mammoth building which is the current residence of the President of Austria as well, was astonishing. Every building in Vienna, be it squares, palaces, hotels, opera house, you name it, is a work of art owing to it's sculptures engraved just about everywhere. The Palace has several museums depicting the life of those who lived in there once. The most famous of them all was this Empress Elisabeth or Sissi (on whom the apartment is themed as well). Her life was quite tragic and probably that's why she was the most remembered.
The writing on the wall.

Commonly seen carriage rides.
A small part of the Hofburg Palace
 (picture taken from Wikipedia since I forgot to click!)
On day three we visited the summer palace of the Habsburg dynasty - the Schönbrunn Palace.We just admired it's architecture from the outside and visited the gardens. Oh, they were so pretty. Later that afternoon we went to Naschmarkt for lunch. We were hunting for an Indian restaurant in the area and even Google maps failed us. Just because we had parents we kept the hunt on and eventually landed at a very neat place. You know, in these countries every one speaks their native language. It's weird how we order in Hindi if we find a Hindi speaking person in a foreign location. Had it been India, we would have ordered in English. All this makes me question our patriotism. But then, that is for another post.
The gardens of the Schonbrunn Palace

I loved every sculpture I saw.
After our tummy was full, we headed to the outskirts of Vienna to see the city from a hill. It was spectacular. We had coffee in the only restaurant there. The place had only one person who was the cook, the cashier and the waiter. Even then he made our coffee with such love! There were four people behind us, but we were his top priority. It is really experiences like these that you remember for life. Small gestures go such a long way.

Vienna from a hilltop
Excellent Public transport in the city
This particular evening we left the parents at home and went to a free open air screening of a ballet! Our main interest was in the food stalls that they had there. I drank to my heart's content because I couldn't in front of my FIL! Although they wouldn't mind, I just couldn't get myself to hold a glass in front of them.We walked the streets at night... alone. It was so blissful.

The Parliament Building - my most favorite in whole of Vienna

Vienna City hall at night - free shows everyday while we were there :)
We had to leave Vienna for Salzburg the next day. I was going to miss my home there. I was going to miss the low rise buildings with beautiful architecture. I was going to miss the many walks we did all across the city... the weather was awesome all throughout. Vienna was kind to us. Little did I know that I would fall in love with the next city more than this one...

14 comments:

  1. Anonymous8/11/2014

    Vienna has been in my list for so loong.. Wow, i love your post, the pictures...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My list is endless :)
      Thankyou for visiting, avirandom!

      Delete
  2. Ah those sculptures look amazing!! I'm glad you took this vacation. I can live it through your posts now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are indeed beautiful. It's a city where writers, painters, basically all artists can get inspired. Just that you have to go alone for that!

      Delete
  3. that carriage ride seems to be fun :)

    loved the pics and VIenna is definitely on my list toooo

    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you ride like a king and a queen!!

      Delete
  4. Loved all the pics and am incredibly jealous right now ! I loved the carriage ride the best. Years from now, you can just come back to this link and relive the trip !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly why I write this blog. I just love to go back to old posts and relive the memories. :)

      Delete
  5. Ok! I am jealous :-P
    Great pics!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fine! 'When I was your age' I had just seen Nainital :p

      Delete
    2. Hahahahaha!!! Well I have more than Nainital to my list! But still!!! These pics are gorgeous!!! And I want to go there too :-P

      Delete
  6. Breathtaking pictures ! beautiful immensely beautiful and the way you describe it makes it even more enchanting !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, babe!! Would share more stories soon.

      Delete
  7. carriage rides the luxurious stay and The gardens of the Schonbrunn Palace are my fav from dese pics

    ReplyDelete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)