Wednesday, June 11, 2014

'No Darling, You are not Fat.'



Married men, or rather men, who’ve had the privilege of being with a woman, know that the answer to ‘Am I looking fat’ is always ‘No, darling’. You might be looking at a hundred kg woman but the truth shall do you no good. 

It is not that we can’t take the truth. It is just that we want you to look at us with those puppy eyes of a tenth grader believing in the fact that we are perfect. Isn’t that why you fell in love with us in the first place? Then why not stick to believing that!

I know we are being hypocrites when we do that. We want you to treat us like we are perfect and yet we keep trying to change things about you. Like the other day I reminded my husband that he was still wearing the clothes that we had bought when he was going to meet my parents for the first time. And we’ve been married for 5.5. years! I told him that I will go to a mall and buy him some tees so that he can give his old wardrobe a makeover. He told me if I did that he will go ahead and buy me something that I don’t need (read: phone). His exact words were tum karke to dikhao. Now see what he did there: He tried to treat me perfectly while I tried to change his personality by making him look presentable. He also gave me a few laughs when I was in a mood for a fight.

Imagine what would have happened if he told me that I needed new clothes to look presentable?! All hell would have broken lose and the likes of Pizza Hut, Nandos and Subway would have taken advantage by providing us excellent delivery options for a month. Hypocrisy, I tell you. 

Now I am a dog when it comes to smells. Ok, bitch, but, whatever. So I told the Boy that he needs to have a good set of perfumes to keep me interested. He was glad to oblige. I wondered though, what actions I will take if he told me the same thing or even gave me subtle hints on the way I should smell. 

One day I told him that he never calls me from office. He has little work load so the fact that he doesn’t miss me when he is away is not good for my ego. He immediately put an alarm on his phone for the next few days. The phone would buzz at the exact same time every day and we would have a few laughs. Within a couple of days I told him to stop disturbing me and that I needed space. Yeah, I know, no woman would take those words lightly. And yeah, I know, this guy is a genius.

So you see we are brazen enough to tell you what we like about you and what we don’t. But if you dare to do the same, your future is doomed. You need to know the right answers(if there are any) to the questions we keep throwing at you. You need to know the right moves. Learn from the Boy. He told me I look good in whatever I wear when I asked him how a particular dress/top was looking. I told him he must love me more to say that because I tend to criticize a tad too much. Just then he remembered that I didn’t look good in pajamas and specs. I told him that men who really love their women, love them the most in pajamas. So he toned down his volume and said, ‘Ok, maybe just specs’.

Haha! So you see, even an expert can fail sometimes. There are really no right answers except the universal, ‘No, darling, you are not fat’!

32 comments:

  1. Awww...your husband is too sweet! I agree we, women tend to be hypocrites, sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, he's a catch and I am very lucky to have him as my partner. He also knows how to handle the hypocrite in me and I just adore him for that :)

      Delete
  2. You've got a very wise man on your hands, and it sounds like you're pretty wise, too. There is a bit of a double standard out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You caught me! I am guilty of having double standards. But I realize my follies and try to make up for them. I still need to learn a lot though.
      Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  3. Hehehe, your husband is a sweetheart for putting up with a tyrant like you :P

    My Cal is the same too and he loves me the most in my pajamas, without make up and with my specs. I do not criticize much too, I checked all of that before saying a yes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha!! Well, he ain't 'putting up' with anything! The reason he married me was because he needed, to put it mildly, a challenge in life... hahahaha!!

      And you two are angels.. I know :p

      Delete
  4. he he he he I was laughing through out the post .. and that is so very typical of him to put a reminder on the fone he he he he :)

    made me smile and enjoyed reading the post ..

    no wonder they say you cant win from women.. no matter how hard one tries :)


    Bikram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I am glad I could make you laugh. This guy puts an alarm for everything. Especially when I complain to him that you don't do this or you don't do that!

      Delete
  5. HAhahahha, true enough. The right answer for the person asking the question though is the answer he/she wants...Atleast that's what I think!
    Nice read :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you sure women know what they want!! I tell him to bring me flowers but then I think they are way too expensive. And this is just one of those things that I am confused about :)
      Thanks for dropping by, Aditi!

      Delete
  6. Haha that office thing was cute ! My husband and me work in the same office, building and same floor, so we see each other at corridors and in the elevator sometimes and just exchange smiles. Like complete strangers. Or colleagues may be.
    Because otherwise life will be just boring !
    We talk only at home ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh then you must be having a lot of office gossip to share! It is good that you talk only at home.. otherwise life would become monotonous...

      Delete
    2. Yes and 225 mutual friends :-(

      Delete
  7. MUST...HIDE...THIS POST...FROM...WIFE

    :p

    Cheers
    CRD

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Haha! What can this light-hearted post do to you blissful marital life? She will only laugh that all men are indeed the same!

      Delete
  9. He's a Smart Bawwwyyyyy Indeed !! Tumhare sare sawalo k jaawab bakhubi deta hai :p

    You just inspired me to write a post on married couple's silly stupid fights or whatever nok jhok lol BTW Next month is my 1st wedding anniversary yay yay !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First year is always difficult. More than nok jhok you have real fights. Look forward to the second.. you'll fall in love with his replies!

      Delete
  10. Good one, Nisha. May the smart conversations continue :)
    Men have learnt- Better to be safe & use the safe answer!
    Watched the movie- Shaadi ke Side Effects? It also advocates the same :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shaadi ke side effects is terrible!! I think Pyaar ke side effects was more like it. And Pyaar ka Punchnama.. oh such beautiful humour these two movies had :)

      Delete
  11. Awwwwwwwww!!!!
    Ssshooo shuweeeeettttt

    ReplyDelete
  12. ‘Ok, maybe just specs’.-that was at once a stroke of spontaneous genius and effective strategy.
    A very enjoyable post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He had learnt how to keep me very, very happy!! If I ask him to rate something about me on 1-10.. he always says 11 and that can't be true. But awesome for my ego!

      Delete
  13. Wow, he have a knack for these things. I am making a mental note to tell my guy to learn from yours. ;) He is so innocent and naive and gets caught in my hypocrisy like a poor lamb in a sandstorm. But he is a hard to stay mad at guy and that's how he keeps escaping with his kiddish pout and puppy eyes. :) Men do have a hard time dealing with women,don't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yess.. women rule!!! I am sure your man knows his way around. Everyone has a different style. That makes most men of our generation so adorable.

      Delete
  14. hey! First time here and enjoyed this post and the humour . I am sure to visit here again and again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome here Kirti! And thankyou for the compliment. These inspire us to write more. Hugs!

      Delete
  15. ai yai yai!! And you wonder why we keep women on Venus and fly away to Mars!! :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! No, we know we are mysterious and we like to be like that!!

      Delete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)