Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Love, Laughter and Sympathy


For 25 years I lived with my parents who always loved and protected me from everything. I did schooling, graduation, MBA...all from the same city and lived under their warmth and guidance. When I woke up, all I had to do was ask for tea and I would get it. In winters I would sit in the sun and mom would bring carrots and oranges and peanuts. If I sneezed, my father would call 4 times from his office to ask how I was. My brother even drove me to school till I was 18 ‘coz I had trouble climbing the bus. Later on, I got enough pocket money to spend on food, phone and petrol. You would think I was spoilt, but I was mature and knew I was blessed.

Me and the Boy decided to get married out of the blue. We really did not think it through. We were both going to be 26 which was a reasonable age to get married. The Boy, poor thing, was just starting his career. He thought it was the right thing to do and went ahead. And then, just like that, we got hitched and moved to a foreign land.

For a person who has been so protected all her life it was a whole new world. I loved the thrill of roaming on the streets at 3 a.m. in the morning. The Boy, even though he did not call ten times a day to check on me, was super caring. He would always know when to hold my hand and when to leave me alone. And when he didn’t understand, he would just hug and kiss me which was enough to make me feel alright.

But a husband’s shield is very different from parents. Sometimes you need to have a cribbing session and don’t want it to end in a fight. And for that, you need your girls. I found three besties here with whom I could share my pain and sorrow and laugh out loud with equal enthusiasm. If I sneezed, they would message 4 times a day to check. If I was unwell, they would cook for me and let me rest. If I needed a laugh, ah, they are always around.

And so when I sneezed today I thought of my parents and my eyes welled up. It always happens atleast once when I have cold or fever. Then I messaged my friends and got all sorts of advice and sympathy. After that, I told the Boy that he was successful in transmitting his germs. He replied: ‘Lets enjoy it together’.

That’s why I said a husband’s shield is so different from parents. Needless to say, I get the right blend of love, laughter and sympathy!

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thankyou, Anita. I forgot to mention how much I crib on blogspot and how you guys are always supporting! Thanks a ton!

      Delete
  2. Hahaha so cute! You are truly blessed :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a lovely awesome sauce post... God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1/23/2014

    Hey Nisha, I loved reading this post....cud relate a lot with my life :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of us who lived with our parents for the longest time would be able to relate to this. Glad you could too.

      Delete
  5. I hope you both are enjoying it together. ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. super cute ! sounds similar to mine..i pretty much got married six months back because i was turning 26 and i do miss my parents a lot , especially when i fall sick or even when he does..cause taking care of sick is also new to me

    ReplyDelete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)