Monday, July 25, 2011

What Women Wear


We love to look good. There’s no doubt about that. We dig compliments. Even if we’re at our worst, we would want someone to come up and say how cute we look.

But we don’t necessarily like the process of looking good. At least I don’t. Most of the time I want to wear my jeans and tee… the most comfy tee… but nooo… that’s not the norm!
Imagine who would want to wear a Jumpsuit when you know you are going to be sloshed at the end of the party? The garment is cute alright, but when you do have to relieve yourself, you need to take it all off! And the high heels that you have to – have to wear with them, just don’t get me started on them.

When I bought my first short dress I was dying to show it off. After wearing it I was not thrilled. I had to climb an SUV and there is no way I could climb with one leg up and the other down. Yes, yes there is a technique to it. But wouldn’t it be easier to wear jeans and apply no new technique to something as simple as climbing a car!

I’m planning a trip to Paris this August. When I check the forums on ‘what to wear’, the locals seem to believe that tourists in shorts look funny. Now, I would want to be my comfy best in shorts or jeans when I go for a holiday. My husband doesn’t even wear his leather shoes on weekends ‘coz he considers them ‘work’! How can you expect us to wear an evening gown and a formal jacket for a Moulin Rouge in Paris? Should we change our destination?

Well, that’s another topic altogether. Imagine the torture women have to go through when they have to put on make-up. First consider the hour given to the right base, shadow, rouge, mascara, kohl, liner, lipstic, powder, and blah. Then consider a slight smudge and the process of rubbing it off. After that comes the constant going to the washroom to keep it nice and shiny! Women in the Middle East literally live in the washroom of public places just to brush up their eye-shadow constantly.

And it doesn’t end with that. We need to remove it before we sleep and apply proper moisturizer so that our skin is soft and smooth for its next trip to the vanity box. We do all that and then you forget to compliment us, how could you?

If it were to me, I would have only jeans and tees in my cupboard, walking shoes in my drawer and a gloss in my purse. And if you didn’t compliment me how cute I looked just in that, you know the drill I’ll have to go through. Just remember your kindest words even when you see me with yoghurt on my hair and besan on my face, would you?

6 comments:

  1. True Story! It is every woman's nightmare to not get a complement at a get together!

    And yes,I bet you look cute with yoghurt and besan too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how true! I hate the entire process of getting ready for such events. Wish, there was no dress code. Or is there? Isn't it we ladies who started wearing these stuff to a night club and started this trend. how about coming up with new revolution?;) no more short dresses, jeans and tees everywhere;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @akansha.. you're so sweet!!

    @Prathima.. secretively i don't want such a revolution!once in a while i do love to wear the pretty dresses. maybe they could design clothes that looked good and were conv as well!
    somebody listening??

    ReplyDelete
  4. "We do all that and then you forget to compliment us, how could you?" LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How true! But then, on days when I feel like I don't want to dress up, I resolutely stick to my jeans and my tees, irrespective of where I am going. But those phases of 'I dont care how I look' are alas too few adn far in between

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'm blabbering on a bit much so you don't actually have to read :D
    Make up is an addiction for me. Once I started wearing it, I couldn't stop. I get lazy sometimes and leave it off but then people ask me if I was sick or not feeling well that day. In other words, they were calling me ugly.
    The only thing keeping me from sleeping with my make up on is the idea that my face will rot.
    I love shoes and i love wearing them. I just hate the aftermath; it's so brutal.
    I'm glad I have to wear a uniform most days because I'm running out of clothes to wear.
    It took me years to develop my own 'style.' But since then, I told myself that I have to dress decently every time I step out of the door. It builds self respect and confidence. I feel like I'm dominating society rather than being influenced by it.
    Oh but I disagree when you say getting ready for an event is tiring. It should be fun to dress up and look pretty. If that's not the case, I'd rather stay home. If you don't want to go, why should you? And hey, tees can look great as casual going out clothes as long as you figure out how to work it :D

    ReplyDelete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)