Sunday, March 13, 2016

The Other Side of Travelling

Travelling across the world is on everyone’s wish-list. It is fun and gives you a broader perspective on life. Atleast that’s what it did for me. I was a naïve girl from Lucknow - travelling broadened my horizons and I knew so much more than I did from textbooks in my first 25 years of life.

However, all good things in life come with a price to pay. And I am not talking about just the monetary aspects.

The most horrifying thing about travelling is flights. My least enjoyable part of any vacation is boarding that plane and getting off. I hate the airports, I hate the landings and I hate the transfers. This is mainly because of an anxiety issue that runs deep in the family and a personal shortcoming. More than that, it is the way flights operate in this world.

A lot of times we have to connect to a different plane. Often these connections are delayed and you are panic stricken whether or not you will be able to connect to the next plane. Although it is easier to think that we can always get on the plane after that, it is human nature to run and catch what you are meant to catch.

A friend recently had to spend 24 hours at the airport with 6-month old twins because of the reason I stated above. We had to once run across a terminal to catch our next plane. I was literally in tears and panting. We were held at U.S. customs even though we had another flight to catch very soon. It is another thing that no flight in U.S. ever took off on time.

We’ve faced rude flight attendants, un-cooperative ground staff, filthy passengers seated next to us, and the list goes on. A bestie recently told me how she cannot even breathe when she has to catch a plane for reasons she doesn't understand! I really don’t know why flying has to be such a horrifying experience.

Having said that, I love it when we reach our destination and get the most awesome first view of a city. I love it when the doors open and I breathe in the air of a new place. I admire how air-hostesses work tirelessly and patiently. And I absolutely love the low-cost airlines for giving us deals on flying. All this and so much more makes every disturbing experience on the plane totally worth it.

Actually I am waiting for the day we win a million-dollar lottery and get to fly first class every time we travel. Although we wouldn't be able to stop other planes when our plane is getting delayed, we would atleast get top-notch treatment. Wait, why would we travel then? We would buy a mansion in France and drive around Europe in our convertible. Wouldn’t that be just perfect?


*shuts off the browser and enters dreamland*

12 comments:

  1. When you said Lucknow, I immediately connected with you as I hail from there too. And next thing I could totally connect with the panic before boarding a flight. I love traveling too and your post made me dreamy too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, nice to see someone from my city here! Dream on!

      Delete
  2. Why do you have to mention only about International travel? India is a vast country and you can learn a lot even by visiting other states.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't live in India. All our India trips are spent in spending time with family in our home town. So, sadly, India travel would have to wait!

      Delete
  3. Airport delays are horrible especially with children. They have zero tolerance you know. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you sista! Some men are like babies too, if you know what I mean! ;)

      Delete
  4. I am dreaming of Bhutan since last week and reading you makes it so much worse. :P

    Airport delays are the worst kind of delays. You end up feeling like a hostage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *shuts off the browser and enters dreamland* is so cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha.. that's what I wanted to do after concluding with that kind of a scenario!

      Delete
  6. I hate the custom part mostly because of queuing!! But I kinda love flying .. but then I doze off the moment plane is off the ground, so it doesn't really matter :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are one lucky girl! I slept only once during a flight - and that was only when I had to cross several continents!

      Delete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)