Sunday, March 16, 2014

Run(a)way - When flying can be a horrifying experience


For me, flying from one destination to another is the worst part about travelling. So far I must have taken more than a 100 flights and have always hated it. I love road trips, but flying is something that bores me, and, well, scares me.

I remember the first time I sat in a plane. I must be 8 or 10 then. All I remember from that trip was that I cried a lot because of the awful air pressure in my ears. A few years later when I was 18 I travelled alone to Delhi. That flight was fun because I felt so independent and oh, an awfully cute looking man sat next to me!

But that was it. After that I have never looked forward to those long hours in a plane. Even when we were upgraded to business class a few times. Even when the view was mystifying. Even though the destination was dreamy... flying has always irritated me because one, no matter how many TV series/movies you have on your smart phone, the journey always seems endless. Two, I am one of those who gets severe ear pain. Now you may think that I am a spoilt girl who gets to travel so much but loves to crib about it. But believe you me, a pain that stays for almost a couple of days is worth cribbing about. And three, I’m scared awful things will happen once I put on that seat belt.

Like the things that are being speculated about the Malaysian Airline Flight 370. Air plane crash, being lost mid air, buried somewhere in the deep blue ocean, caught by terrorists, hijacked, attacked by aliens... ah, the whole thing makes me shudder. We have developed incredible technology over the years to locate anyone, anywhere. It is sad that we are helpless now. The theories that are being raised send a chill. Is it a human error, a massive technological failure or a political drama? Whatever it is, I can’t even begin to imagine the trauma felt by those 239 souls. More than that, I can’t imagine the pain their families are feeling right now. 

Travelling might be a favourite hobby of so many, but flying sure is seeing its deepest low at the moment. Let’s hope the plane is safe somewhere and nobody is hurt...

7 comments:

  1. I cannot still believe it!! The news is devastating and confusing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. And the conspiracy theories are way too many. Hope the people in the plane are fine.

      Delete
  2. I am just like you, I can take as many road trips as there are , with a toddler ! But flying is completely a different thing. People are often fascinated by flights ..Ive always been uncomfortable and scared on flights. And sleeping during the journey is next to impossible. Ive always been jealous of people who sleep through the flight.

    Yes , I am also amazed that after sending such a lot of satellites around the earth we still cant find a flight !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anita, how come we are so similar in so many ways!?! Even I envy people who can sleep anywhere, anytime.
      As for flight 370, unless the government is hiding something, it is probably God's way of telling us that we have a long way to go before technology can take over His world!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous3/19/2014

    My home town is 2 day journey if I travel by train. With a 5 yeard old in tow, I would prefer flight anyday.

    What has happened with this flight is really unfortunate and really surprising too. How it has vanished without a trace is unfathomable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would also prefer a flight for a journey that takes 2 days! I'm just saying I don't enjoy these trips.
    As for MH370, let's just hope the plane is only 'lost' and the people on board get reunited with their families.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it makes me so very sad all the confusion surrounding the flight. Yet, flights are the safest way to travel. With kids, I have no patience taking trains that take a long time.

    ReplyDelete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)