Monday, April 15, 2013

Love Credit Card; will Take Care!


A few days back a friend booked a hotel in Istanbul through a reputable website. After a few days he saw that his credit card was used to purchase a ticket in France by someone else. Another friend went to U.S. 2 years back and his credit card was imitated and thousands of dollars were used. He came to know when his credit card stopped working because he had exceeded his limit!

A few days back we booked a hotel in New York (I love the sound of it also..haha). An SMS informed us that we had been charged around 300$. Since no prepayment was necessary, we inquired from both the website and the Hotel about the goof-up. Apparently, they had made two bookings for us. And because there was a no-show, our card was charged. Although this was not a case of fraud, we’ve become awfully cautious.

Call it a coincidence, I was asked to write something on online transaction security yesterday. Since I gained so much knowledge, I thought I should share it with my fellow naïve bloggers who love to shop online!

Start from your laptop. Go to your browser’s website and get an updated version. This enhances the security features. Also, the Boy told me that different browsers show different rate from the same website. Apparently there is some intelligence on who’s more tech savyy! After that, get an anti-virus installed. Don’t want to spend money? Get a free one.

Next is the security padlock. The lock type sign you see next to the URL. The url will start with https:// and not http:// . The S signifies security encrypted.

Look for trust seals. You don’t want your credit card number reaching shady locations.
Never share credit card details over email. Unless a page is security encrypted, there are chances your information will go beyond the retailer.

And don’t open your laptop and splurge at Costa. When you are using an open Wi-Fi, your computer, credit card and life is at risk. Oh, my laptop and credit card is my life!!

Keep an eye on your credit card bill. Don't wait for the final date. Sometime they forget to send you an SMS. Most of the times it is when there has been a fraudulent activity. Inform them when you are traveling and leave contact details.. And yes, avoid using your debit card. 

Look for warranty of a product. Dig deeper into shipment charges, after sales service and the works. And always, always look for refund and exchange policy. We booked a Europe tour for the Boy’s parents.  A few days before the trip my FIL was diagnosed with a heart disease and we had to cancel the trip. The cancellation charges were exorbitant. Again, not a case of fraud, but you must check all this before making an online purchase.

That’s enough of techno crap for one year. I also want to read more about swiping credit cards and blah. When I do that, I’ll definitely show-off my limited knowledge! Right now I need to get back to my travel plans where I can open my age old Explorer and book hotels. No wait, this time I’ll use the updated Chrome.

13 comments:

  1. :-) Thats a lot of information! Points noted !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there is more to it. Since online shopping is the way to go now, we need to be updated!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous4/16/2013

    so big travel is on the cards :) I agree. Even keeping small things in mind can make a difference. I use credit card only on reputed sites and that 's' in http is the most important thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big travel is after a few months. We just like to book things way in advance :)
      I think we all know these little things but don't bother to check until someone suffers a loss. We also buy from trusted websites, but these things can happen anywhere.

      Delete
  3. I had so many issues with my CC, finally, I cancelled it!! Phew!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did? Although we don't delay our payments, it's better for time value of money - if you know what I mean!

      Delete
  4. That is a very useful reminder.Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have done so much online shopping in the past one year, I agree there can be goof ups..and I have had a lot of them. But thankfully, my bank people are very cooperative and helpful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, we just use online shopping for making bookings and buying gadgets. I'm sure the time is not far when we will be using it to buy vegetables as well! I don't know if it is ease of shopping or we are simply lazy!!

      Delete
  6. I hardly use my credit card for the same reason unless it is absolutely necessary. I think the https and the lock sign is the first thing everyone should be aware of before making a transaction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use to see different symbols but never bothered to find out. With virtually everything on internet now, it's becoming more and more important to check security features online.

      Delete
  7. The last time I used a Credit Card must be the year 2003-4. In fact I dont have one now. Use only Debit Cards. And I am a little vary of online transactions and prefer to use DC for online shopping only for small amounts and from reputed sites.

    ReplyDelete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)