Saturday, August 13, 2011

Movie Review - Aarakshan

I've never seen my watch so many times in a movie. And the only reason I finished it because I thought the subject was interesting. The movie - not so much.

Aarakshan begins with the expected fight between the SC/ST/OBC and general category students. In the background there is a love story happening between the Principal's (charitable, principled, admirable,for-reservation Amitabh) daughter (expressionless Deepika) and his fave teacher (OLD Saif - someone from the reserved category). After some 20-30 minutes the movie becomes a revolution against coaching centres. And it ends there after 3 hours.

Yawn!!

The song and dance sequences that emerged from nowhere were absolutely abhor-able. The romance was dreary. The idea of Amitabh trying to prove his ideologies by beginning a free coaching centre in a cowshed was unimaginable. Students studying there and changing from losers to toppers in few weeks was miraculous. Last shot with Hema Malini emerging as a diety from Rishikesh to solve all problems was hilarious.

There were several scenes which could have been edited. We tried to laugh out loud but Uncle in the row beneath us got highly offended and so we couldn't get back every Fil of Dinar we spent.

The only highlight was Manoj Bajpai in his villainous character which too got bugging towards the end. Saif was selected in Cornell University but carried an Indian Sim card and we were on the edge of our seats to see the number correctly.

If that got us to the edge of our seats, you can imagine the boredom we went through. You can still go if all you've got at home is India-England match. Aarakshan scores above that, atleast!

6 comments:

  1. i just knew it would be supremely boring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that is why i read reviews before going for a movie!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @RP: Next time before going for a movie I'll ask u! :D

    @Rohan: I like to give my own reviews.. good or bad! somehow I never regret that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ouch..sad that they made so many errors..i had some hopes that this would b a hard take on the controversial topics..instead, nothing !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Expressionless Deepika? I am a fan of hers, so not sure if that is true(or if I will admit ;)
    I am yet to watch it, read the review on some blogs and they were all praises.
    I guess I will go and risk watching it just for deepika and saif and an interesting/bold subject,

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Roshan: The subject is very interesting and important. However, to appeal to the masses they should have made the story a little more interesting.
    The only thing I can appreciate is that it's a good start.

    @Prathima: I didn't see any change in her expressions throughout.Only the tone changed. though she looked gorgeous!
    I can't rave about the movie at all because i truly got bored. As I said, the subject chosen is worth appreciating.

    ReplyDelete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)